Can I bleed ABS brakes myself? 2000 Caravan

2000 Caravan 3.8L rear drums with ABS. The Haynes book I have says only a shop can bleed the brakes because they need to have a DBRII scan tool to do it. Is this true?

Then the book goes on to tell you how to bleed the brakes yourself starting with the port (brake line) closest to the booster. Odd.

Can I replace the master cylinder and bleed the ABS brakes (lines) myself?

Also if it is getting close to replacing rear shoes should I do that before bleeding the lines (assuming I can do them myself)?

TIA Gary

Reply to
gary

No.

You can bleed an ABS system if all your doing is changing out old fluid, or if your replacing a caliper. The critical thing is that you cannot introduce air upstream of the ABS system. That means when you are bleeding, you cannot let the master cylinder run dry - if you do and it sucks air, your done.

To bleed the system if your replacing a master cylinder means the ABS valves all have to be open. The DRBII has a diagnostic mode that lets you do this.

Alternatively, any garage that has an OTC Genisys system can trigger the ABS valves too. There probably are other brands of scantools that can also do it.

Of course, you can replace the master, bleed it as best you can, then drive it carefully to a dealer or garage and have them only bleed the brakes.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to