Car starts then...

I have a chrysler lebaron 1987.When I start it it comes on for about half of a second then cuts off.My friends told me it might of been the fuel pump(electric)

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Does the car happen to have any anti-theft from the factory?

Reply to
Norvin (remove SPAM)

When I did this,these were the results.It went

FlashFlashFlashFlash FlashFlash Flash Flash Flash FlashFlash Flash Flash Flash Flash

H'mm. 11-12-55. Your hall effect sensor (distributor pickup) is dying fast. This is a fairly common high-miles cause of a no-start on a 2.2 or

2.5 Mopar. New pickups are not very expensive and can be had from any auto parts store. Try for a good brand (Standard-Bluestreak, NAPA Echlin, Mopar, ACDelco...). While you're at it, it's probably time to service the rest of the ignition. A new cap and rotor, new plug wires, and a set of NGK ZFR5N or Autolite 385 spark plugs gapped at 0.035".

...(And how long's it been since you serviced the complete PCV system?)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote: > On Sun, 8 May 2005, j wrote: > >  > >stored. Check the codes and report what you find. > > > When I did this,these were the results.It went > >

So does this means I have to buy a new distributor.Also is this what I need