Caravan belt tensioner

94 Caravan, 160K

I eventually found the noise (sounds like a tambourine at idle) comes from the belt tensioner. It seems right below the alternator, and hard to reach. I want to replace it myself, and placed hold of the Haynes repair manual from library. Well, I still wonder if it's an easy work to do? Even the noise is quite annoying, I'd rather just drive the van if the belt tensioner will keep working.

Advise please, thanks.

Simon

Reply to
Simon

You'll find a lot of discussion on the problem and how to replace the tensioner (how to reach the bolts, etc.). Do a google search on "Caravan" or "Voyager" or "minivan" and "tensioner" on this newsgroup.

Bill Putney

Reply to
jdoe

A temporary fix that sometimes works for quite awhile (I'm currently going on three months) is to move the belt slightly on the pully...you have to relieve a little tension to do it) I was doing this almost daily then all of a sudden it worked like a miracle and it has stopped.

Reply to
jtees4

Watch you don't get stranded somewhere. As with mine - lucky it happened in my driveway. My last failure, belt was not running true. Normally a sign of the mount bolt beginning to bend. This is one of the known week points - they tend to snap right off. Once it starts to bend, it will soon break. As soon as you see the belt not running true, I would be replacing the tensioner ASAP. I went and got the replacement part, when I went to release the tension for replacement, bam - it snapped off. My previous failure was also bent, but it did not snap when removing, but it had a good bend in the bolt.

Reply to
Mike Martin