95 Maxima Belt Idler or tensioner

Hi, My 95 Maxima started making a noise yesterday. The water pump and belt were replaced about 6 months ago. I'm sure the noise is coming from the belt that drives the alternator and air cond. compressor. Also after running a few minutes I see and smell smoke but can't locate the source of the smoke after repeated searching. Also you can hear the engine slow down like something is lugging it down. On inspection, I found the 2 lower bolts holding the belt tensioner bracket loose. One was about 3/16 inch backed out and the other was about 1/8 inch backed out. With the belt loosened, the tensioner pulley turned freely by hand as did the pulleys on the alternator and air cond. compressor. The tensioner pulley did not feel excessively hot. I tightened the tensioner pulley bracket mounting bolts and tightened the pulley against the belt. The car still makes the noise and I still see the smoke. I suspect that the tensioner pulley bearings were damaged from the loose bolts allowing it to run misalligned. Does that sound accurate? Any comments or other suggestions?

Reply to
wlcooper via CarKB.com

What kind of noise is it?

I do not know your car's engine well, but in my car, when in doubt about bearing problems, i use a mechanics stetoscope or when not available, i do the following:

Put a long metal rod about 1/4" or so in diameter against the center stationary bolt of the idler or a stationary bracket. Put your ear close to the other end of the rod. Make sure that the rod does not slip and that if it does, it does not touch any moving parts.

Good bearings produce a hiss and defective bearings have grinding noises.

Please be very careful, doing this kind of tests can be very dangerous.

The smell can be oil or coolant dripping on the exhaust or exhaust manifold. You can tell the difference by the way the smoke smells.

Good luck

wlco> Hi,

Reply to
AS