Chrysler Crossfire

Yes, English is fun. We drive on parkways and park on driveways too :-p

Reply to
Steve

True, but near miss actually makes sense. A hit is binary. Two airplanes either hit or they don't, there is no near. A miss is analog. Two airplanes can miss by miles or by inches, this near is appropriate to describe a miss that was pretty close.

I never have understood the parkway/driveway one though... :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

And we have people that are disgruntled, but no-one that is gruntled.

Bill Putney

The problem most anal people (including myself) have with "near miss" is that it is used to mean the opposite of what the literal meaning should. A near miss should mean that you actualy hit something (though I get what you mean with the binary thing). Instead it is used to mean that you actually (barely) missed hitting it - which is not a near miss - it is a near hit.

Bill Putney

I don't follow your logic. If you actually hit something, how could it be a miss of any type, near, far or in the middle? If you hit something then you didn't miss it at all. However, you can miss something by a little bit or by an infinite amount. There is no upper limit on miss distance, but hitting something is pretty much black and white.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

So 'near death' means...? Death is binary.

The sun so hot I froze to death, Susanna don't you cry... 8^)

Bill Putney

Speak for yourself- I always feel very gruntled after a big BBQ dinner :P

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
mic canic

Life and death are only separated chronologically. So it's a different dimension than a near miss! The good news is, it's a one-dimensional problem.

Reply to
Joe

American English...

We rest-of-world English-speakers don't have parkways...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Why? Problem dealing with "Merc"?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Best car I've ever owned. Fast, handles great, beautiful... my top is down 9 months a year (don't say it).

But why > Group, what are your opinions of the Chrysler Crossfire? I am researching

Reply to
Kathryn Ann McCormick

Reply to
philthy