Chrysler NewYorker 5th Ave.

Can someone please help. I have a 1993 Chrysler NewYorker 5th Ave. It skips. When I am at a red light, I have to put my foot on the gas & brake or it will kill. Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix it? I have already checked the coral, timming chain, vacuum line. please help! Thanks Lorinda snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Lorinda

also it jerks a lot

Reply to
Lorinda

Er...what is this "coral" you think you've checked?

It's probable that there are several problems with your car. One of them is likely that the throttle body and AIS motor are dirty and in need of cleaning. There may be others, too. You can check to see if the computer has detected any fault conditions.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Sorry, my bad. Its coil not coral. I didn't fix anything, my brother did. He doesn't know what else to do so he suggested that I get on here to see if anybody knew about this problem. It won't give any codes except 55.

Reply to
Lorinda

Well, the computer doesn't detect EVERY possible cause of improper running. It can't detect a dirty throttle body or AIS motor. It can't detect dirty and worn spark plugs or plug wires. It can't detect a dirty, clogged or broken hose, valve or filter in the PCV system.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. lorinda

Reply to
Lorinda

Thanks for taking the time to answer my qusetions.

Lorinda

Reply to
Lorinda

help!! my 1987 5th ave. has just thrown it"s tranny linkage and as i type is stuck on the side of the road.can someone please e mail me a diagram or picture of what it looks like under there so as i can fix it and drive it home. thanx in advance!! p.s. i can"t

Reply to
carbgone

help!! my 1987 5th ave. has just thrown it"s tranny linkage and as i type is stuck on the side of the road.can someone please e mail me a diagram or picture of what it looks like under there so as i can fix it and drive it home. thanx in advance!! p.s. i can"t afford a towtruck or a mechanic so any tips would sure be appreciated! carbgone

Reply to
carbgone

Very, very simple. A lever exits from the outboard side of the lower end of the steering column, in the engine bay. When the selector is in "Park", the lever is rotated all the way DOWN. When the selector is in "1", the lever is rotated all the way UP. A link rod is attached via a grommet and cotter pin into that lever.

The other end of that link rod is attached via a grommet and cotter pin to a bell crank assembly. Another link rod is attached to the other end of that bell crank assembly, again via a grommet and cotter pin.

The other end of this final link is attached via a cotter pin to the actual gear selector lever on the transmission.

One of your cotter pins has probably broken, or perhaps one of your grommets has gone missing. Find the point at which the linkage is no longer linked, and fix it.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

my thanks go out to daniel j. stern for your answer to my dilema!! however, it seems that it wasn"t the linkage afterall, it is something internal.everything is still working and connected all the way down to the tranny.i hear it might need to be rebuilt. any and all input would really really helpful, as it sits dead in the driveway. thanx once again!!

Reply to
carbgone

You're the guy with the trans that is stuck in Neutral, right? This is a high-traffic group, you really need to remind us what the problem is. If the linkage is connected correctly and the trans still refuses to go into gear, then yes, you're up for some internal transmission repairs or a swap-in of a working used unit.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern