Code 37 on 1990 Dodge Spirit with 3 Speed automatic

When I check for codes on my 1990 Dodge Spirit, I am getting a "37." According to the info on Allpar.com, it could be one of the following:

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed OR part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver circuit (87-89) OR solenoid coil circuit (85-89 Turbo I-IV) OR Trans temperature sensor voltage low (1995 and on; see NOTE 2)

Since it is not a 5 speed, and does not have a turbo, I am guessing it is the second one, although mine is a 1990 and not a 1989. It was however, assembled in September of 1989.

Could it have anything to do with the torque converter not locking?

Thanks in advance,

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Yep, you've got an open or shorted condition in your torque converter lockup clutch solenoid circuit. This could be due to a fault, or it could be because a particular TSB has been applied, which calls for the deliberate unplugging of the lockup solenoid to eliminate a road-load surging effect.

The only detrimental effect of an unplugged or nonfunctional torque converter lockup clutch is a loss of approximately 7% fuel economy at speeds over 45mph. If getting back that fuel economy is worthwhile to you, plug the torque converter clutch back in or find and fix the problem.

The plug is located right next to the transmission fluid dipstick. If you find it plugged in, try unplugging it, cleaning the contacts on both the transmission and the socket, and plugging it back in. Clear the trouble codes by disconnecting the main feed disconnect (located in the positive battery cable about 7" down from the battery) for a few minutes -- this is a good opportunity to check and clean that connection -- and then plugging it back in.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thank you both for the information. The vehicle did have the lock-up when it was new. It would usually kick in around 60 MPH. Last October, a used transmission was installed to replace the original which was a victim of a botched rebuild job, (not by the same shop).

Anyway, the used one works fine except for the code being set. The shop checked the numbers to ensure that it would be compatible.

If it has the connector near the dipstick previously described, does it most likely support converter lock-up?

Thanks,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson