Concorde Lug Nut Question

The dealer put my wheels on, so I tested the torque of all of the lugs (Chrysler spec: 100 ft-lb) when I got home. A few were somewhat over spec, but nothing too terrible. What I noticed though is that the lugs and wrench tend to studder when approaching the desired tightness. I don't recall this happening before, usually the lugs would tighten smoothly as the torque meter approached 100. Does anyone know why this happens and if it is a problem? Thanks.

Reply to
Jim

Using the wrong size wrench and it's slipping on the nuts? Bill Putney (to reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address with "x")

Reply to
Bill Putney

You should read your instructions for the torque wrench. Some have to approach the right torque and won't click or read correctly if the right torque is already exceeded. In other words they cannot be used to check if someone already overtorqued the nut.

Reply to
Art

It is due to the lug nuts being dry. Could be the dealer hit them with solvent to make sure they were clean and dry. Even though it isn't recommended, I tend to spray a little WD-40 on mine after I install the nuts. This usually leaves enough residue so that they don't shudder next time I torque them down.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It is due to the lug nuts being dry. Could be the dealer hit them with

The published torque spec assumes dry nuts and studs.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

True. Don't lubricate the studs and nuts, but lightly wire brush them to remove dust and grit accumulation, particularly brake dust.

Reply to
Gene Poon

I know. That is why I said "it isn't recommended" above.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I was using the right size socket (14 mm) and the fit was fine. Previously when I've rotated my tires, I 've usually found that the lugs tightened smoothly to the proper torque, that's why I was surprised here. Thanks!

Reply to
Jim

I don't think that's the issue. You are correct that you can only measure the torque while the bolt is moving, but to measure, I loosened slightly until the lug moved, than retightened, all while watching the torque reading. I did this in the usual star pattern to all of the 5 lugs on each wheel.

What happened is that the lugs shuddered while tightening ( and while loosening). Because I"ve never experienced that before, I am curious if it means something is wrong.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jim

I experience that often with dry lug nuts and studs, so I don't think you have anything wrong. Just the nature of the beast. That is why virtually all fasteners other than lug nuts must be lightly lubricated before torque is applied. Lug nut torque is specified for clean and dry threads.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting