Focus groan

When cold and pulling off in 1st gear there is a groan literally a groan noise at pulling away speed from the drivers side wheel area. At least thats where is sounds like its coming from.

Once the car is hot and been running for 10 odd minutes the noise goes away. It only happens in 1st gear only pulling away or using first at all.

Any ideas what it could be ?

Ford focus 1.8 petrol 04 model

Reply to
Joseph

Sticky brake calliper?

Jack it up when cold, and see how easy/hard the wheel is to turn.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sticky brake calliper?

Jack it up when cold, and see how easy/hard the wheel is to turn.

Chris

To op, Could it be a wheel bearing making this noise ?

Chris, out of interest how hard or easy should the wheel move, should it spin freely or require some force to move ?

Reply to
Pete
[...]

They *generally* are noisier when hot, and when cornering.

It won't spin freely; it's FWD. If the calliper is sticking enough to make a noise, you would feel it though.

If inexperience makes you wonder, comparison is the way to go. Jack up the quiet side first, and see how easily it turns.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

They *generally* are noisier when hot, and when cornering.

Ahhh I see. Also read that holding the tyre 6 and 12 oclock if there is play it could indicate a worn wheel bearing.

It won't spin freely; it's FWD. If the calliper is sticking enough to make a noise, you would feel it though.

If inexperience makes you wonder, comparison is the way to go. Jack up the quiet side first, and see how easily it turns.

Chris

I see, if I ever get the problem I'll have a go, or maybe when I do the front pads/discs on Sunday I'll have a go to see how they spin. So if it ever happens I can reference how they are supposed to work :) .. future proofing lol.

So what's the cure for a sticky brake calliper out of interest ?

Reply to
Pete
[...]

In detail, it depends on the type. In general terms, moving the piston(s) out as far as is safe without them falling out, then cleaning the exposed circumference of the piston(s), followed by cleaning any surfaces that are designed slide against each other in normal operation.

Suitable brake grease can be applied to any sliding surfaces, but not to the piston(s)!

If these simple things are done each time the pads are replaced (as they should be!), then it's much less likely that a calliper will stick in the first place.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

In detail, it depends on the type. In general terms, moving the piston(s) out as far as is safe without them falling out, then cleaning the exposed circumference of the piston(s), followed by cleaning any surfaces that are designed slide against each other in normal operation.

Suitable brake grease can be applied to any sliding surfaces, but not to the piston(s)!

So you basically lube around the piston side part, my son friend who's interested in cars says he uses brake fluid to lube it ? I guess red brake grease would do the job or some high heat grease, I have some but have forgotten the name off the top of my head, its in a white tube with red writing ... pffft eludes me.

If these simple things are done each time the pads are replaced (as they should be!), then it's much less likely that a calliper will stick in the first place.

Sadly it seems garage miss the simple things or maybe intentionally just can't be bothered.

Chris

Reply to
Pete

Apart from a stuck brake, Suspension bits can make a noise like that, as the suspension lifts on pullaway, it creaks. I expect you could hear it by pressing down/releasing that corner. Another thing that sometimes makes a groan on pullaway is a worn clutch shock absorber, but I haven't had one of those on a focus, fiesta often had it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

NOT TO THE PISTON(S)!

Any lubricant here may well cause the seal to swell, and result in a previously free piston sticking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You can use the special grease for the job, such as Millers red rubber grease or girling red grease.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

TBH, I've never found it to be necessary. By just cleaning the piston, and lubricating any other moving parts, I've never had any calliper problems with any of the vehicles I've maintained.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan