transmission noise 84 Nisstech or Steve T??

Anyone have any ideas about this one??? I get a knocking noise from under the car when the clutch pedal is let out. This happens whether I have the car in gear or in neutral. When I depress the clutch pedal the noise slows quickly and then stops. The speed of the knock follows the engine RPMs, so higher RPMs equals more knocks per second.

When the transmission is in neutral and the car isn't moving are any parts turning inside of it?? I ask because I'm trying to guess whether it is the throughout bearing or a bearing in the transmission case going out.

Thanks, Keith

84 300ZX n/a 5speed
Reply to
Keith

Yes in gear or not, moving or not, the input shaft and the lower countergear are turning when the clutch is "out". What you describe is an internal transmission problem, not a clutch issue. Sorry...

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks Steve that was what I was afraid of. Do you have any idea of how expensive a repair it would be?? I'm trying to decide whether to have this on repaired (175,000 miles on it) or just buy a remanufactured one.

Thanks,

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Get a second hand one from a wreck.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I'd put a used one in. This isn't a comon problem and a car that old isn't likely to wear out another one.. I wouldn't have one that is -that- noisy repaired, probably has damaged gears which is very expencive.

Reply to
Steve T