89 GLI Transmision Noise

I've got a 1989 Jetta GLI 16V that recently had the engine rebuilt to a 2.0 from the 1.8. Now it seems like the tranny needs to be tackled. What I'm finding for symptoms is this: When in gear (most noticably

1st and 2nd) a high pitched whining noise is produced. When I put in the clutch the noise goes away. The noise does seem to change in quality as I accelerate so it is either effected by engine speed or wheel speed. My question is this...Does this sound like a tranny problem? The fact that the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed must be indicitive of something? Any help/advice would be appreciated! Jay from Maine
Reply to
Jay

Jay,

My girlfriends A3 Jetta is producing what you are hearing, high frequency noise, but only in 3rd and 5th gear. A friend checked it out and advised that the 5th gear in the tail housing is loose on the mainshaft. He suggested that we look for another transmission. Other than that, I can't add any more information other than that she does have Mobil One synth lube in the tranny already. Let me know what you find out. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Thanks,

Jim

90 G60, 91 Gli, 84 Gti
JLPAWLICKI