Does Chrysler really know how to sell the Pacifica?

I mean this seriously, but somewhat humorously. I live in Ontario, Canada

Example:

After considerable research and test drives, I've narrowed my choice down to either the Honda Pilot or the Pacifica. Obviously two vastly different vehicles, but we'd be happy with either of them.

In all cases, I'm asking for a 48 month lease quote on $5000 down + fees & 20k km per year.

On an MSRP $41k to $43k (depends which model of PIlot I choose), I can expect to pay between $475 & $500 per month after tax.

On a Pacifica priced at around $45k, I get quotes of $675 or so. Having said that, I know that Chrysler is using much higher lease money rates. I have to question why?

Very interesting, because in general, and specific to the Pilot, Honda has a decent track record of quality, so you wouldn't expect them to be willing to deal. On the other hand, the Chrysler is a new vehicle, with no track record, and you'd expect that they'd be trying to sell it agressively - I haven't seen many on the road.

What gives? Why the huge difference?

Ant.

Reply to
Antonin Borg

I agree. The lease rates from Chrysler Financial Canada are ridiculously high (more than 7% for 48mos). I ended up purchasing my Pacifica in Toronto last month to take advantage of the 3.9% financing (although i think all the

2003 vehicles qualify for the 0% 60mos rate). I think there are a lot of factors for the poor sales - DC trying to break into the luxury market, financing rates, mostly loaded vehicles at the dealerships, etc.

Sometimes I think I'm the only Pacifica on the road in Toronto!

Reply to
Thomas

When you lease a car you are paying for the deprecation over a fixed number of years plus a profit percentage. That would mean they want either a lot more profit or the car is expected to deprecate more that the Honda.

Reply to
Kevin

Yup, my impression would be that they are trying to milk these sales from a profit perspective, or they expect depreciation to be high (which is interesting for a vehicle aimed at the quasi-luxury segment).

I was also seriously considering the GMC Envoy, until the wife declared it to be too big for her (as the primary user). The lease rates between GM and Honda aren't all that far apart.

I've leased many vehicles before, and rarely encounter one dealer/manufacturer that is so far out of line with respect to leasing rates for vehicles within the same price range (which the Pacifica obviously is).

Ant.

Reply to
Antonin Borg

Dealer confirmed today that the lowest lease rate they can go to is

7.8%!
Reply to
Antonin Borg

Actually, there's no Financial Institution involved (at least not at my end). This is leased directly through Chrysler Financial.

I don't think that it would be practical to purchase in the U.S. The exchange on our dollar is pretty significant.

Having seen a few ads for Pacificas in one of the larger National newspapers, I think this is probably a situation where the local dealership and their Chrysler contacts just don't have their acts together.

I already get discounts, as I do have a 2000 Caravan leased through Chrysler.

Reply to
Antonin Borg