Pacifica Lease

Hi all,

I am new here, so excuse me if this has been answered previously...

My wife and I are looking at a new Chrysler Pacifica, we currently have a Dodge Durango. We purchased the Durango out right and took the normal "hit" and currently owe more then it is worth in trade. We like a new car often (the Durango is a 2001), so buying out right does not seem to be an good option for us.

We decided that we are perfect lease candidates because most of our mileage is in town and totals about 1100 miles per month

We were offered a lease on a Pacfica for about $545/mo (39/15000; AWD, Power lift gate, Leather, moonroof, infinity and aluminium wheels). I know there will probably be better incentives out there (currently there is a $2000 incentive). I was disappointed that I missed the $349/mo lease promotion on PAcifica in September. I just saw a brand new commercial that said that you could lease a new Pacifica for 0 down and $339/mo (36/12000). Anybody know anything about this offer? I can't find anything on Chryslers website and my dealer didn't know, but is checking.

Any other comments or suggestions, esspecially from Pacifica owners is greatly appreciated. I am esspecially interested in knowing if the window sticker MPG is accurate (my Durango boasted 18mpg on the hwy, but I have never seen anything past 15,even with all highway driving).

Thanks for enduring my long post...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Meyer

Are you sure you want to sink $$$ into a 1st year model run? I'd wait 2-3 years for them to work the kinks out and put away the $$$ and plan for

2006-2007 model and that would also solve your financing problem with the Durango...
Reply to
James C. Reeves

Note the operative phrase: "We like a new car often"

Basically they are thinking exactly like the factory wants them to. There's nothing wrong with this if they are wealthy. However, I don't think that they are, because of the second operative phrase:

"currently owe more then it is worth in trade"

You see, in order to have 1, you have to accept 2. They don't want to accept

2 and are under the delusion that simply leasing the car will magically make the factory bear the 1st year depreciation hit.

People that can afford "a new car often" don't finance. They drive in with the old car, take whatever the dealer gives them in trade, then pull out their checkbook and write a check for the balance, then drive out with the new car.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ted,

Wow, I can't thank you enough for making so many personal assumptions about my family. The use of third person language, as if your really not talking to me, but using me as an example, is extra keen.

Please don't make any assumptions about our financial situation. We have a Durango that we owe more on then it is worth, that is not uncommon and it is not a significant amount, its just that with a growing family needs and expectations of your vehicle change. The Durango is a beautiful truck and I enjoy it, but I have a relative that we care for that has a hard time getting in and out of it and the pacifica, while not the easiest car on the market for her, was a nice balance between what we need (Space for kids and dogs), not a minivan and ability for her to get in and out.

As a young family, we have lots of expenses and planning for retirement, even if it is over 30 years away is a priority. I would much rather put an extra $100 into my retirement each month then pay it on a car that is depreciating in front of my eyes (the difference between the lease and purchase (even assuming 0% interest) is over $180/mo.

Yes, we do like a new car, something that is differnt. If you can keep the same car for 12 years, that is fantastic, it really is; but it's not for me.

I loath flamers even though that is what I am basically doing here.

Comments like these make posting to newgroups almost a waste of time. Someone is looking for general advise on a something they are not familiar on (notice how I can use the third person too) and gets sarcastic responses. At least it's easy to ignore people with account blocks.

Enough on that though...

Thanks James. You make a good point on the first year model. I guess I'm somewhat comforted by the warrany covering the car while I lease it, but you make a valid point.

My wife and I have decided to wait on a Pacifica, it appears that sales are not what they expected as evidenced by the jump in incentives this week. Since they came out in Early spring, I expect that by Feb and March we'll be looking at considerable discounts like they do each year with Durango and other DC models.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Meyer

Chris,

When you post in a FORUM you should expect all kinds of responses to your questions. Accept and filter the responses and then do as you wish to do. If you try to limit and or admonish posters, you may find that you won't get any response the next time. WE post what we think and we all have different backgrounds and experiences. Accept and build on these and make your decisions. GOOD LUCK to you.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Richard,

You're absolutly right, and I welcome all comments that are both good and bad about the product for which I am researching, I however do NOT like it when people make assumtions about things such as my families financial situation. Esspecially when the reply goes so far as to reapond in the third person.

I am an avid user and supporter of newgroups, I use them every single day and moderate several, this was my first post to this newsgoup and probably my last. If you read Teds comments, it is clear that he is not being respectful and is quite honestly rude.

I appreciate your comments and thank you for the good luck :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Meyer

Why care what he says. If the NG is valuable to you, use it. If not, don't. But don't be influenced by someone's post.

single

Art Begun

If your skin is that thin, then you are making the right choice deciding not to post here again. Every ng I've ever participated in has had people who are rude almost all the time (Lloyd is the best example in this group) and people who may be rude once in a blue moon (Ted falls into this category). If you can't take that, then you shouldn't participate.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Uh, my comments were directed to James, not to you. I really wasn't talking to you.

That's fine but you didn't say that. Go back and reread your initial post - the only reason that you were giving that you wanted to get rid of the Durango was because you like a new car often. In short, the impression given was of someone that just liked buying new cars all the time, yet was carping a bit that the depreciation was too fast for their taste, and I posted/ranted accordingly.

It is all on the phrasing. Usenet and other electronic media are very literal, and you cannot depend on non-verbal communication. If you had spoken your first paragraph in a conversation you can control the non-verbals and it doesen't come across in an unexpected manner. With the written word, you have to be very explicit if you don't want it misinterpreted.

To be honest I think that perhaps what killed you with the Durango is that you held on to it for 2 years, rather than just holding on to it for a single year and then selling it and buying another new car. (and then continuing to do that every year, if you like new cars all the time)

Well, it's all in the choices. Just as long as your not going to have any regrets come retirement time that you didn't save more money than you did, there's no harm in it.

It's been said of Usenet that the value of what you get is worth exactly what you paid for it. ;-)

I think probably even earlier, in December/January. We are heading into the big retail spike of the year and I have a feeling that this Christmas shopping year is going to be the worst in the last 3, and a lot of people and companies are going to then be deferring major purchases (like cars).

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Chrysler just announced a new $3000 cash-back on the Pacifica because it isn't selling as quickly as they expected. Also, dealers are givng an additional $2000 or more discount, for a total of $5000 off MSRP. So if you can get $5000 off MSRP, at least a 50% residual for 36-39 months, and a money factor of .0023 or less, you've got an excellent lease deal. You can play around with these numbers with the lease calculator at

to see how payments might look.

Al

Reply to
Al Hearn

That may explain for the many I'm starting to see lately.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Though it's not a good sign. A brand new model that they threw the full weight of their hype machine behind....and they're having to offer substantial incentives in its first production year to move units out the door....

NJ Vike wrote:

Reply to
Chris Mauritz