Draining cooling system on 1998 Stratus

Last weekend, I attempted to change out the coolant in my 1998 Stratus with the 2.4L engine. By touch, I was able to find the radiator drain, but could not find a tool that would fit in the cramped space to turn the valve.

I then thought about disconnecting the bottom radiator hose from the engine. I was able to remove the clamp, but could not break the seal between the hose and the fitting. Again, this was due to the limited space. The engine was cold at the time, which may have contributed to the tight seal.

Any suggestions of how to do this from those that have done this before?

Thanks,

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

If it's not emergency work, try to schedule it in when other work that will be done where the upper radiator brace, cooling fans, etc. are being removed for other things (like a timing belt/water pump job). If those things aren't in the cards right now, it may be worth your time to pull the radiator brace and fans out to gain access.

Bill Putney