Dune Buggy with FWD Mopar Engine/Transaxle Combo

The VW aircooled engine and trans are going to be getting scarcer as the last world production aircooled VWs have recently been discontinued. People wanting to build dune buggies are probably going to be going over to FWD transverse packages. Is Mopar a better way to go than GM, Ford, or Honda, and why?

Reply to
calcerise

There have been lots of buggies and trikes build using the Subaru power train. Also some with the old Renault (which is also becoming scarse - thankfully) Quite a few with GM powertrains too - Fiero in particular, as they are designed to run "out back"

You will want to use what is commonly available, reliable, and light-weight. Being well packaged is also a bonus. I can see the Neon/PT 4 cyls being a good choice

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Subarus are popular because, being "boxer" engines, they have more of the "look" of air cooled VW's. Of course, they also work very well.

Reply to
Kokomo Kid

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com :"The VW aircooled engine and trans are going to be getting scarcer as the last world production aircooled VWs have recently been discontinued. People wanting to build dune buggies are probably going to be going over to FWD transverse packages. Is Mopar a better way to go than GM, Ford, or Honda, and why?"

I not sure about which would be better. Someone else mentioned Subaru. I don know a lot of people that use a Subaru in a Mud boat or on a Super Go Devil boat since they are lighter then a Chevy, Ford or Mopar engine.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I don't know if they'd be a "better" choice, but there's a lot of potential. The FWD drag racing crowd has proven that the turbo 2.2/2.5 can be pushed to absolutely insane horsepower levels with inexpensive modifications and remain streetable and reliable. Perhaps the 3.5 V6 and

42LE from LH-series cars might also prove interesting in that it could be used for a mid-engine buggy setup, but it would be heavier and more expensive to come by.
Reply to
Steve

From your typing, I can't tell if you *do* or *don't* know of a lot of people who use Subaru engines for such applications, but many do come turbocharged (EA82 engine of the 80's) - pretty good power to weight. For exceptional reliability, the EA81 engine (70's and early 80's) would be the choice - used in aircraft primariy because cam is gear driven (a few of those were turbocharged, but not as many as the EA82 - EA82 is belt driven overhead cams).

Bill Putney

There are many Subarus flying, i don't know that I'm happy with the Eggenfellner setup though.

Reply to
calcerise

Anyone want an EA71? (just like an ea81, but 1600cc instead of 1800? Cheap if you are close to Waterloo Ontario (100km west of Toronto)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce