Duplicate key for 2005 Town and Country

I want to get a duplicate key made for my 2005 Town and Country. I still have the two originals. Here's what I've been told:

1) To get a duplicate key, I need the two originals. Otherwise I'll pay a lot of money to redo the transponder or something like that. Good reason to get a 3rd key.

2) I can't get a duplicate key without the 'clickers' for remote entry.

3) I can't have more than 2 'clickers' programmed for remote entry at a time.

So if I lose a key and only have 1 left, I'm out a lot of money.

If I want a 3rd key, I have to pay at least $100 for a key with buttons that I can't get to work.

This doesn't make sense to me. Somehow I really think I ought to be able to get a key without the buttons on it. Or I ought to be able to have 3 of them that work.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Paul Vincent Craven

Reply to
Paul Vincent Craven

Before I attempt to deny what you were told, allow me to say that all of my experience is with my 2004 T & C Touring Platinum Edition.

I bought a buttonless, programmable key from a guy in North Carolina, who runs a locksmith business, on eBay. He puts them up there, as a "Buy it Now" only item, and offers all makes that use the chip-loaded keys. He specializes in Chryslers, however, as he also offers the remotes, on a local basis, there, around Charlotte. Seemed like a really nice guy! He treated me pretty well, (his father started him out in the business, is in his 80s now, and remembers his work near here, at Offutt AFB), although the price, counting shipping and handling ran it to nearly fifty bucks, and I still had to have it programmed by a local locksmith, (who charged me nothing, but that's because I send him some work, from time to time). I have a total of about fifty bucks in the key, which leaves the two remote control keys for other uses, besides laying around in the ignition all the time. You should also know that it's possible to get a non-programable key, which lets you lock the vehicle, while running, and still be able to open the doors, should you not have one of the remotes available, or locked inside.

God Bless, Dan'L

Fun to Read:

Dan Larsen

Fifty-plus bucks for a car key, if you go through some guy on Ebay and dance around finding a locksmith who'll program it for free.

Forget that noise! Not in my car -- ever.

-Stern (New key for any of my vehicles: $0.99 or $2.79 depending on whether I want the metal head or the plastic head)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Stupid crapola like this *instantly* removes a vehicle from the "Will I buy it?" list.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Daniel Stern wrote:

Dan, I said the very same thing, back in 1974, when they forced the 5 mph bumpers upon us. "Never!" I said. I wanted to add to my vehicle collection of muscle cars, but they had begun to put those confounded bumpers on the cars, and it pissed me off, terribly! I ended up buying a Ford F-150 with a 460 engine. Talk about an overpowered monster! Trust me, when I say, "Never, again!" See, somehow THAT'S different, when you did it, admit it was a mistake and use the "N" word, in a bit different context. But I digress, . . . .

. . . . . Well, ya know, . . . . . the old saying is, . . . . "Never say never!" It's true my friend. Think about it. Drive by any used car lot, and count the ones without 5 mph bumpers. 90% of them will have exactly zero cars to qualify for my previous promise to **never** own one. That make it a little tough to buy one without that little ditty, hangin' there out front of the many other mandates, (brakes, windshields, headlights, (you know something about them, don't you?? -- just kidding, . . . . lighten up!), padded dashboards, collapsing steering columns, (remember that monstrocity horn ring they used on the '67 Mustangs?), seat belts, air bags, child protection, warning buzzers, bells, etc., etc. ad nauseum. Think about the reasons for all this crappola, . . . . . lobbyists. The insurance industry has a very powerful lobby, to effect the industry, and the cars we buy and drive, whether we like them, or not. Just like the way they effect the entire medical industry, (doctors not being able to actually "cure" things, instead of treating you for them, ad nauseum also. It's all about the money, and the power. The politicians and the insurance industry seems to be focused on both, to the detriment of society, but saying that you're **never** going to own something based on your emotional oppostition to the costs or convenience, (or lack thereof), defies logic, . . . . . unless you have some kind of insight on your own mortality, and are comparing it to the chances of diminishing returns, . . . .

BTW, I always enjoy your responses, here. I respect you deep knowledge of Chrysler products, and your wit and wisdom. I hope I haven't engendered any disrespect on your part, because I was willing to invest fifty bucks in a convenience key, as opposed to buying an additional remote for about $140. It was a matter of economics for me, too. I bought a LoJack for it, too. It wasn't inexpensive, either, but it suits my needs, perfectly, since the vehicle contains a fairly high dollar amount on specialized professional equipment, and I wanna be able to get it back, ASAP, if it gets stolen.

God Bless, Dan'L

Fun to Read:

Dan Larsen

Sure, but there's a vast difference between a bumper and a *key*. Same goes for seat belts, emission controls, etc. But a *key*?!

Well...not really, no. It defies the particular brand of consumerism we're all supposed to embrace and participate in, but logic it does not defy. How's that? Well, I own a Slant-6 Dodge and a B30 Volvo, amongst other cars. If I ever manage to wear those out, my "want to own" list of cars is lengthy, and most of the entries on it were made before I was born. And in case you're planning on asking, there's not a single exotic "impractical to use as a car" model on the list. Most of 'em are 4-doors or wagons!

None whatsoever. You spend your dollars how you choose, I spend mine how I choose. Heck, I'm going stem-to-stern (as it were) through a '92 Spirit, making a clone of a mid-'90s Mexican Spirit R/T 2.5 intercooled turbo...add that to the list of cars that'll last years.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
mic canic

Well, see, Mic, the thing is, I don't feel the need to buy new cars.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I spent about ten bucks obtaining a third key for my Intrepid, the dealer cut it without charging, and I programmed it myself in a minute or two. I don't mind paying that amount because of the security benefits of the transponder key system. But $50 seems awfully steep for a key, and keep in mind that is the bare bones ebay price. I don't see any benefit that the $50 key has over my $10 key, and I am definately not interested in a bulky key that combines a remote fob with a key.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Reply to
mic canic