question on smart key system

My Camry has a smart key system and I am wanting to know what to do in situations where someone else would have to park my car. I assume that I would want to seperate the actual key from the remote entry transponder, but then what could I do so that the transponder does not get lost? There is no opening on the transponder that would allow another key ring to be attached.

Reply to
Charlie

I'd assume that the SKS is the same as on the Prius. If so, there's a button under the dash labeled "Smart" that allows you to turn off the SKS. Then, the keyfob acts like a "dumb" keyfob - you press the remote keyless entry buttons to unlock/lock the doors, and you put the keyfob in the dash slot to start the car.

(the "actual key" (mechanical key) in the keyfob is just to open the driver's door should the battery in the keyfob or the 12v battery in the car go dead. it cannot start the car.)

Depending on where you are, you may not have to worry about valets (if they've driven enough other cars with the smart key system), but it doesn't hurt to ask first. Some places will let you park your own car, if you don't trust the attendant to drive it.

(The 2004 Prius came with some cards that you could give to valets or other new drivers, so that they'd know how to operate the push-button start. If you'd like a PDF of this, let me know and I'll point you towards them. (the Toyota one was in English, but some people have made them in Spanish and another language or two...))

With a flash-enabled web browser, you can view a feature demo of the Smart Key System here:

(once you have it, you wish that all your keys did this! it's great that you never need to take you key out of your pocket/purse...)

Reply to
mrv