European v US automobile technology

There are LOTS of vehicles that have speed limitors built into the OBD2 programming for "emmission reasons" Many of them ARE at 140kph.

Then there are those that just limit RPM when in neutral - and everything in between.

Before emission controls, there were NO governed speeds, as far as I know. There WERE lota of cars built with 85mph speedos though----.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

And there were VERY few cars that couldn't bury the needle on those speedometers. One of the most underpowered vehicles I ever drove was an '83 Diplomat with a slant-6. That was the last year of the passenger car slant-6, and it had been neglected for a good 5-6 years at that time- more emission controls and lower compression every year, but no improvements to the combustion chamber, intake, exhaust, or anything that would have compensated and given it back the power it had before. I think it was still rated at a bit over 100 hp, but if it actually produced more than 90 hp, I'd be surprised. Still as smooth and reliable as ever, though ;-) Anyway, even THAT thing could bury the needle on the

85 mph speedometer. You just had to wait a while...
Reply to
Steve