GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

I'll try to remember next time officer ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The 3.5L Chrysler 300 has 250HP and according to Car and Driver the 0-60 time is 7.3 seconds and that's with the lousy 4 speed. The 07 3.5L has the

5 speed which should improve it to 7.0 sec. No way is the Five Hundred faster than the Charger/300 with 3.5L. Sure the Five Hundred is lighter by a couple of hundred pounds but it is giving up 50HP/45 FT-LBS.

I have rented the 300 and it handles well and is really comfortable. No rattles and light years ahead of GM products. The bad areas are front/rear visibility.

Reply to
Victor

You forgot to mention that it is incredibly ugly too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is your opinion. It has won the 10 best award for 3 years in a row. Car and Driver usually hates domestic cars but not with this car. The only car that GM makes that is RWD and has the performance of the Hemi is the Cadillac STS V8 but it costs 50% more.

Reply to
Victor

Still coming in from the back seat on volume sold eh! We all know volume sold has little to do with quality, it's all about lower initial cost for most buyers.

Reply to
who

The understatement of the day.

After struggling with the lack of visibility of a rental Magnum, when I returned to my LH it was like being in a green house. Visibility returned! Night time vision through the Magnum's heavily tinted rear window was non existent. I needed outside help from my wife to park at night.

Reply to
Some O

No question the 300C has power and accelerates, but don't pass that gas station.

Reply to
who

I guess that explains why then Camry is the number one selling car in the US. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What car does? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You're admitting it!

Reply to
Spam away

I have a cool book about Mopar police packages over the years. The car I liked the most that they show is a 60's era Dart wagon with a 170 slant 6 one barrel for patrol duties. The police slant six added beefier bearings. At the other end of the mopar police package performance spectrum was the 440ci 4 barrel cars for highway patrol/interceptor duties. And every engine in between was also used -- 225 slant 6, 318ci,

360, 400, 440 in various flavors of carburettion. I dont think they put the 340 in cop cars. They didn't put the 426 Hemi in cop cars back then.
Reply to
Grappletech

You mean I'm agreeing with you that Camrys number one position has little to do with quality? ')

mike

We all know volume sold has little to do with quality,

I guess that explains why then Camry is the number one selling car in the

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Same as Windows is the #1 OS :)

Reply to
Eugene

That may be your opinion, Mike. I know what we use here, and its mostly Impala's.

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
Picasso

Could be that they haven't completely switched over yet. Takes awhile for the true cost to be realized.

Same at work, they thought they'd be saving bundles with the ford ranger instead of the f150s... wrong... 3 transmissions in 7 trucks died before 100,000 KMS, 1 just over 200,000. Two motors before 100, and one at 250,000 KMS.

Reply to
Picasso

I'm not really slamming ford or promoting Toyota/Honda here.

I live in New Brunswick, Canada. And I can't udnerstand why there are two ford dealers, two chev dealers, and two chrysler dealers... one closed, and i figured well ones enough anyway... then another opened.

Honda, Toyota, Nissan all have just one dealer. Ford should do the same

-- they wouldn't have to supply so many damn vehicles to sit on a lot.

Then most people check prices, and end up going up the river about an hour to another well known ford dealer.

Reply to
Picasso

$10,000 difference in price can do a lot of repairs.

Reply to
Picasso

We do also use Crown Vic's, but like I said, most of our cars are Impala's, and have been for many years. We used to use the old 80's style Caprice's back in the day. I guess it helps that we make the Impala's here as well. :-P

Reply to
80 Knight

Huh? This has nothing to do with vehicle quality. You gotta get a grip Ed. It has EVERYTHING to do with financial management and the fact that the japs have never played on the same field as the Big 3. Soon, there will be no more guys with grade 12 educations slapping bumpers on cars for $25/hour. Thank God. But it may be too late.

BradandBrooks