Hemi Not a Hemi

Family members.

It sounds as if you're not familiar with the word.

Goodness, you're nearly as dense as Whiting.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"the others had FALLEN short on......" Not to be nitpicky, but I expect people who can afford to buy and fuel up $40,000 SUV's to have a little better grammar. No flames needed. I know I'm an asshole. LOL.

Just playing around with ya, Ken. :-) Strike the above sentences from the record.

Reply to
Justin

But I am, Daniel! It's the same thing most people on this forum experience when they hope that you'll comport yourself in a courteous manner.

See what I mean?

And while you're digging in your pocket dictionary for 'comport' and 'courteous' you might as well look up 'again', too.

Reply to
doc

*shrug* Nobody forces you to read my posts.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Bye-bye, Daniel. Don't forget to kick the dog on your way out.

Reply to
doc

And when he surpasses me, he'll only have you left to top.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
<chef_rwmiller

Its a matter of degree. A LITTLE piston slap doesn't hurt anything. Excessive piston slap that doesn't go away completely after a few minutes of warm-up can cause collapsed piston skirts and scored cylinder walls.

Don't know who all is having problems or not, other than the fact that the new Hemi has coated pistons to prevent the problem completely. You actually hear more about GM piston slap issues than you do about Ford. Toyota wouldn't surprise me, they've had all sorts of engine failure issues in recent years.

Reply to
Steve

With me, its GM. I'm not a big fan of the Ford Modular engine and think they should have replaced it years ago, but I'd still buy a Ford before I'd buy a GM.

Reply to
Steve

Many late-model Subarus also have piston slap based on forum postings.

Bill Putney

Oh well,

I'll just have to live with it for now.

Thanks!

Reply to
NJ Vike

At least my M doesn't have it ;-)

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I don't know anymore.

When I test drove all the SUVs in the Expy class, the Yukon was the nicest of the bunch. It performed and handled very well; especially for a SUV.

The interior was nicer too.

Of course they wanted about $4K more than the Expy.

Is it an issue of dependability?

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

True enough, I've no problem with DC calling it a Hemi, it's close enough for me. The pro stock Hemi on the other hand is a Hemi in name only.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

More of having been snake-bitten by multiple GM cars over the years. GM cars seem much more poorly engineered in general than Ford or Chrysler cars, although they've come a long way in the past 10 years toward closing the gap. I've never had a Chrysler or Ford that you had to buy a puller to remove the power steering pump pulley BEFORE you could remove the power steering pump, which you had to remove to get to the water pump... but I've had to do that on a GM. I've had several Ford and Chrysler cars where the A/C system lasted over 200,000 miles- never got a GM past 100k miles with working A/C. Never got a GM past 150k miles with a working transmission, never had a Ford or Chrysler NOT make it to

150k with a working transmission (although my wife's Eagle Vision did get a tranny overhaul right at 150k miles). And the fact that GM threw away the comparatively well-designed Buick and Oldsmobile v8 engines in favor of standardizing on the Chevy 350- which has rods too short for its stroke, main and rod bearings that are too small, skinny little lifters that drastically limit the cam profiles you can run, and a block that was cast out of chewing gum compared to the harder alloys used by Ford and especially Chrysler.

As far as straight chassis stuff, NOBODY builds a tighter, quieter chassis than Ford, and (especially back in the 60s-80s) the Chrysler chassis all handled orders of magnitude better than GM or Ford, even though the Fords were quieter. GMs were always over-sprung, had too-soft bushings, wallowed like whales, heeled over when you tried to corner, and generally mushed their way down the road. Yech.

Reply to
Steve

Donno what planet you're on. Here on this one, most cop departments switched from Caprices to Clown Victorias only when forced to by the discontinuation of the Caprice, which was a *far* better handler than the Clown Vic.

-DS (and many of those only went to the Caprice after Chrysler quit selling them Gran Furies and Diplomats)

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The bathtub Crappiece was indeed a good handler- a first for GM in the CopCar field. Too bad the police departments couldn't keep transmissions in them. The Texas DPS hated their fleet of Caprices- they only bought them because the governor at the time (Ann Richards- of big hair and big mouth fame) made a deal to buy them IF GM would keep the Arlington assembly plant where they were built open.

A Police Car Owners Of America's poll of current and retired police officers still barely even ranked the bathtub on the all-time "best police package cars" list. The top several spots are Mopar dominated, with even M-body copcars coming out ahead of the bathtub. The M-body, R-body, and 69 Monaco (C-body) are a the top 3. The M- and R- bodies were ranked high for handling and creature comfort (seats, A/C, things cops need when they spend 12 hours a day in the car), and the Monaco was ranked for speed and handling. The R-body was actually one of the slowest Mopar squad cars ever, but still made the list because a) its comfortable, and b) no one can outrun Motorola... :-)

Reply to
Steve

What? No votes for the Interceptor (Holden) ?

;-)

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

The "A" in PCOOA probably rules out many votes for it...

Reply to
Steve

Yeah, but they all watched Mad Max, didn't they? :)

Reply to
Jack Baruth