How to get rounded nut off the wheel

You're the first, Steve.

So here are all the ideas presented for Mike's consideration so far, in no particular order:

  1. Sears Bolt-Out?
  2. Vice-grips?
  3. Needle nose vice grips 8^)
  4. Weld bolt on the end, put wrench on head of bolt to turn.
  5. Put an undersize 12 pt. socket on the lug nut and hammer the snot out of it, discard when done.
  6. Use cold chisel to notch and drive the nut around.
  7. Pipe wrench
  8. Take it to a shop (place where vehicle purchased or otherwise), and pay them to remove them using whatever method works for them.
  9. Heat, penetrating oil, and "special sockets" (sounds like hand-waving

- maybe he meant the Sears thingies, or the undersize 12-point).

Hey Mike - I hope I didn't scare you off. If your serious with your questions, we're willing to help.

Bill Putney

If all else fails, Snap-On sells special lug nut removal sockets. A more elegant, possibly more effective version of the "pound on the cheap

12 point trick" (which does occasionally work BTW.)

I always have one of those $3 Taiwan socket sets around for just such an emergency.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel