1994 Intrepid fuel pump is loose...

OK. Having got through the access plate in the trunk of the car (It is back by the back of the seat, under the carpet) I have checked the pump on top pf the fuel tank. It bobs up and down a little to the touch and there is a little metal ring with a tightening screw which has apparently slipped off. From all indications, it is intact and could be put back on, or another metal ring and screw thing could be findable... I am just wondering if I should drain the tank before mesing with it. The fuel filler hose and tube look intact.

David in NJ

Reply to
David E. Powell

David, if the ring has broken you may be ok just to replace it with a new one and a gasket. sometimes the lip of the tank will get deformed and a sealing ring clamp will not set properly thus needing a new tank. either way give it a try, and the tank does not have to be drained. When you remove the pump be careful you don't spill fuel in the trunk, this can happen

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The part is apparently called a "Fuel Pump Clamp." I checked around and found a dealer in NJ who will have it in on Friday. I will compare old with new before I try to put it in, but I hope I have found the problem.... thanks to all on here for bearing with me through this :+) I will make sure to go easy on the parts, definitely...

David in NJ.

Reply to
David E. Powell