look out PT

I just saw one of those new Chevy HHR jobbies. It's very much the same concept as the PT, but with a much more comfortable, less "love it or leave it" look. Less in your face, if you like.

Actually, I thought it looked better in the metal than in pictures or on the computer. Also the price is considerably lower than a comparably equipped PT, at least before discounts.

I've seen comments that Chevy was making a mistake by getting into the tall wagon fad so late, but I predict a winner here. Not sure if that will hurt the PT, or expand the market for everyone.

I've seen comments on other forums that Chrysler is not planning to restyle the PT, but phase it out with the introduction of the Caliber, but if the HHR takes off the way I suspect maybe they'll reconsider.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Looks like Bryan Nesbitt was able to further refine his design under GM after he switched companies. The similarities between these two cars are no mistake at all.

Reply to
Greg Houston

The two new vehicles will replace the Neon, not the PT Cruiser. Neon replacements, co-designed with Mitsubishi, using the "World Engine." The Dodge Rebel is the sedan or coupe version, due a year after the Dodge Caliber, a small SUV with coupe styling. It is expected to have Volkswagen diesel and Honda CVT options. Visit the relevant pages for details: Caliber - Rebel. The PT Cruiser, which is on its own highly modified version of the Neon platform, is likely to move to this new platform a year or two after the Caliber first comes out, shedding some weight

Reply to
tomkanpa

"tomkanpa" wrote

I read the same material too, but I gather this last statement is speculation, unless you've seen something recent. I've also heard that the Dodge Caliber is too similar to the PT for the latter to survive - except maybe as simply a Chrysler badge of the same vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Gower

According to the September 2005 issue of Motor Trend Magazine: Base PT Cruiser: $14,850 HHR LS:$15,990

The base PT engine is a 2.4L, 150 hp while the HHR's engine is a 2.2L 143 hp engine.

Motor liked the HHR better, but they tested a $24,000 HHR model against a $19,000 PT Cruiser. If they had spent the same $24,000 on a PT Cruiser GT, they could have gotten a 230 hp turbo charged engine, along with all the options that come with the GT.

PT, or expand the market for everyone.

You might have seen comments, but that isn't true.....

Reply to
SRG

The PT was never, ever, "based on", or as you put it "highly modified" Neon platform. Chrysler has always denied this.

Reply to
SRG

Not so. The PT Cruiser is put together in Mexico on an active Neon production line, and the two products share many parts. The industry always does this to save time and money. But the PT Cruiser is not a Neon, but it is a close relative.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I worked for DC at the time of PT introduction, and the engineers specifically stated IT WAS based on the Neon Platform! Basically a lengthened chassis (floor pan) Which basically means nothing anyway! Considering a regular neon chassis does not fit on a PT. It is basically a computerized CAD engineered streeeetched picture which has a totally diffent stamping. The similarity to the PT platform is it utilizes the same mounting points for the chassis to be moved down the assembly line as with the Neon, so as not to waste time in changing the line over for producing the different models.

Reply to
David

Originally posted by Daimler Chrysler Press Release

Dan Knott, Director, Vehicle Development, Small Car Platform Engineering. "Neon and PT Cruiser are two distinctly different vehicles and you can't combine or compare the two," Knott said. "They are of two distinctly different platforms. The reality is the two vehicles share more in process than parts or design.Much of the early VR technology we used on PT Cruiser came from knowledge we gained on the 2000 Neon program.We were able to solve unique issues because of what we learned and that early information sharing is what saved so much time."

Reply to
SRG

I hate it when they don't make fair comparisons.

Reply to
NJ Vike

The final production versions of the next-style PT Cruiser headlamp (US and Export) I saw earlier this year at the engineering facility of the Tier-1 who makes them must, then, have been a figment of my imagination.

Or perhaps the comments you saw were uninformed.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The first year PT and first year HHR compare in one respect. As much as the manufacturer touts the low cost base model, I did a search for the HHR in the local dealerships and found only one that was less than $20,000. Most of them were in the 22-24K 4 range.

Reply to
Carl Keehn

nice vehicle i been seeing them all over and i heard they come with a 5.3 v8 ???which is a

327 ci. eng> I just saw one of those new Chevy HHR jobbies. It's very much the same
Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

No V8 or V6, I think the bigger engine (still 4 cyl)is rated at 174 hp....

Reply to
SRG

I'm talking about the headlamps going on the upcoming *restyled* PTC.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

sure your not talking about the 2006 headlights?

Reply to
Punch

Reply to
tim bur

"tim bur" wrote

They are a Cobalt with a high roof. That means 4-bangers only.

Reply to
Dave Gower

cool, I've also heard rumours now they may just drop the pt cruiser.??

Reply to
Punch