Neon AC compressor cycling

No clara, I'm say that by the time I started working as a mechanic in 1970, most of these types of vehicles had gone on the the great junkyard in the sky because they rusted out from the amount of road salt used in this region.

Gee, 50 years old is young huh? Seems to me that there is all of about 4 years difference in the length of our careers, difference being, I can and do still do it and make a good living at it, you on the other hand fall into the "I used to" category.

Mechanic? Hardly. Parts changer? No doubt. But thanks for including the "I was" as further proof of what I mentioned above.

Then one can only surmise that your lack of knowledge on VW carburetor anti-icing devices is equal to those that Dan Stern cited about ChryCo products.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I thought it was due to ice build up on the windows of the bridge because Capt. Neil had disconnected the AC compressor during the winter months :0)

Reply to
PC Medic

Well you have just proven you have no clue as to how the system works, or what causes condensation. But, then even if you did know you probably would not say as I have pegged you as a common troll at this point.

Reply to
PC Medic

Another way to look at it is that the coil acts as both the lower element of the voltage divider to cause the current flow that drops (yes

- I said "drops") the voltage across the ballast resistor *AND* as the element that is tied to the junction (that non-existent tap) that utilizes that reduced (dare I say it: divided) voltage. Probably too complicate for *certain* people to understand, no doubt.

Matt - It's very clear that what Neil needs to do is to find the ballast resistor terminal on the coil and add a wire to it (he could just leave it dangling or tape it off), and to put a piece of masking tape on that wire and write the word "tap" on the masking tape. *THEN* he can't say that there is no tap on the voltage divider formed by the ballast resistor and the coil. All conditions of the articles will have then been met to call it a voltage divider. And like magic, if you rip that added wire from the junction, the whole thing suddenly ceases to be a voltage divider! And yet the circuit won't know the difference, and the coil will continue to function as always with the reduced/dropped/divided voltage. Amazing that it doesn't realize that it is no longer a voltage divider, yet it keeps dividing the voltage and still functions exactly the same with or without the "tap"! To quote Mel Brooks: "Woof!"

Bill Putney

Oh belive me Matt - it knows! Just like the ballast resistor-coil circuit knows whether or not there's a wire called a tap at the junction and decides from that whether to act like a voltage divider or not. 8^)

Bill Putney

Do flying Subarus count? Here's a photo of one:

Bill Putney

You are absolutely, right. How silly of me to miss this obvious analogy! :-)

Well, it's been fun, but I'm getting tired of typing. However, I'm really hoping to see the GOOD example of a place in the lower 48 that has months on end of average temperatures below 30 or even 25 F.

I'm certain that northern Alaska meets this requirement most likely, but I'll bet there aren't many other places, if any, that have 3 or more months of temperatures that are "continually" or "constantly" below 25. There's one place in Minnesota that might qualify as it always seems to be the cold point in the USA on the Weather Channel.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Nope, gotta be a Neon, no exceptions!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

PCM, I hate to burst your balloon, but everything Neil's said in this thread has been smack on the money as far as theory and practice goes. Much of what you've posted has been technically OK, but you seem to be weirdly grabbing bits and parts of multiple salient points and modging them together, then arguing against the concatenation. That is known as "straw man" argumentation.

-DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

So, you're saying I'm wrong?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

No, the concept is not hard for me to understand, but apparently the reason that they recommend doing this on a minivan has totaly escaped you.

You're the one who interjected being a "pilot" into this. I'm trying to get you to explain why conditions that might exist at altitude that would be conducive to cloud formation and airframe icing are relevant to a vehicle driven at ground level.

If anyone's dodging, it's you.

Or; you're not a pilot and you haven't a clue WRT air density and the mechanics that can and do occur when it varies.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Actually if you're saying that a voltmeter across a battery is a voltage divider, you are technically correct.

Here's why: The battery has an internal resistance. Also, the voltmeter has a leakage on its input terminals also represented as a resistance.

The difference between the two resistances is several orders of magnitude - we're talking the difference between maybe less than an ohm for the battery and 1000 Megaohms for the meter (1000,000,000) and that's the minimum guaranteed - in actuallity, the meter may actually be

10 to 100 times better than that.

You can plug those numbers into the voltage divider formula (battery resistance being the "top" resistor, meter resistance being the bottom resistor). What you'll find is that, if the battery measures exactly

12.000000000 volts (round numbers make the illustration easier), when you put the meter on it, you may find that the meter pulls it down to and reads 11.999999995 volts, except the accuracy and resolution of the meter would not show that effect in a million years.

But yes - you are technically correct - that is a voltage divider.

Bill Putney

Actually, you did. it's two paragraphs up, check for yourself.

Awww, poor Matt, someone is forcing him to participate. Must suck not being in control of yourself.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

BTW, when I said "What you'll find is that, if the battery measures exactly 12.000000000 volts...", that would have to be measured using God's multimeter that is perfect and has no leakage on the input terminals (i.e., the input resistance of his meter is truly infinite).

Bill Putney

Of course I dispute that. Isn't my fault that you don't understand the reasoning that Chrysler makes the recommendation for minivans.

Yes, there is a reason. If you want to know the reason, go out and obtain the knowledge. Obviously, it would be pointless for me to explain it to you, and given what I've seen so far, odds are you'll never figure it out for yourself.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

"Ignant?"

Did the gaggle help you with that? (I think they did)

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Yes "ignant" a term used so that those that do not understand more complex words like ignorant will get the picture. Yes not only do I understand how the defrost/demist cycle of an A/C system works and the different types of voltage dividers out there, but I really can spell.

Reply to
PC Medic

What else in new??

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Ignant - black vernacular for ignorant. Usually implies dummer than a rock. In common use in Rap music etc.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Bill disagrees with you. So do I, but even Bill missed what I was getting at. (so much for the rocket scientist)

Gee Clara, for someone who claims to have been a mechanic for as long as you have, I'd have expected that you could at least get this one right.

Here's some key words, let's see if you can figure it out; "battery" (you -do- know what a battery is don't you guys?) "connecting a volt meter to"

Reply to
Neil Nelson