Noise from left turn on 93 plymouth acclaim 3.0

My 93 acclaim makes a loud roaring noise when going around a left curve at highway speeds. It sounds like the engine "amplified". In other words the engine gets a lot louder when going around a left curve. The sound changes when bumping the gas pedal. I believe it is a motor mount, but not sure which one even if that is the problem. I replaced the front one, it was very worn. When I'm cruising along and take my foot off the gas I hear a high pitched buzz, whistling type of noise. I don't know where that's coming from either. I've been to a mechanic and he doesn't know what's wrong. I'm afraid these sounds will lead to something serious later on. Thanks for information.

My '91, first '92 and recently-purchased second '92 all did this. The noise wasn't *loud*, but it was present. If yours is loud, it's because the engine mounts are worn, off center, or both. The mounts on these cars are not fixed; when certain bolts are loosened they allow the engine to be shifted laterally by a surprisingly large amount. There is a procedure for centering them properly, and this should be followed if you're to get maximum life from your exhaust pipe-to-manifold junction/gasket (and freedom from noises on left turns). Assuming your mounts are in good condition -- which they may not be, given the car is over a decade old -- your engine is too far over to the right.

OK, that means (a) the other two engine mounts and the rear transaxle mount are probably similarly tired, and (b) you may not have realized the importance of re-centering the engine after replacing any of the mounts.

That's your transfer gears in the transaxle's final-drive. Most of these cars make this noise, and in most cases it is not at all loud. If it is loud, it is either because sagged-out engine/trans mounts are allowing contact between the engine/trans and the body, or because something is seriously wrong with the transfer gears. Since the transfer gears usually don't fail, I suspect the former.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your information. It was very informative. I took the car back to the mechanic and let him check the engine mounts again. He said they all were fine. I seriously think the engine is "off center" because the transmission shift leaver says the car is in neutral when it's actually in drive. I'm going to have the other two mounts replaced and have the engine re-aligned to see if that helps.

Thanks again,

Then it sounds as if he does not know how to center them.

That's a totally separate adjustment, not affected by the centering of the engine mounts.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Sure sounds like one or more bad front wheel bearings to me. Likely the left one, but that's just a SWAG.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce