OT Court lets Automaker sue Consumer Reports

How stupid of you to make it appear your post was by a rational human being. On second thought, you didn't.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

How dishonest of you to make it appear what CR does in anyway relates to a normal, ordinary lane change.

Reply to
Brent P

Parker caught in his tatics resorts to the above insults.

Reply to
Brent P

Watch the video - they had to violently yank the wheel and make the turn almost half as long - and only 3 out of over 70 attempts succeeded.

If you purposely try to make it tip over, it likely will.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I've been watching this thread since it started, and as usual, when faced with defeat, you start to get ridiculous Lloyd.

What part of the actual Samurai test footage found at

and
looks like a "lane change" to you?

Seen any Jeep, GM or Ford SUV commercials lately? They may be so used, but they definitely are not so advertised. SUVs, for the most part, are largely targeted at the market segment that likes to imagine itself as having the capability (real or imagined) of driving off-road.

What makes you think the Samurai, one of the most capable short-wheelbase 4x4s in the world (along with the Wrangler and old CJ), is designed for on-road use?

Oh, and don't worry, it won't "tip over during a lane change." As evidenced by CU's own videos, you have to work VERY HARD to even start to tip one.

Where did you pull this "inadvertent lane change" crap from? The driver had to quickly and violently jerk the wheel 180 degrees from TDC *in both directions* to get the thing to even lightly lift one side off the ground. Not like any lane change I've ever seen.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

They are not only self-selected, but they are self-selected from a self-selected group with no attempt to verify a valid sample.

Who won, Dewey or Truman?

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

Too late, I've served on a jury. Called once, served once.

What is the point of testing? I don't understand why singling out one test subject to fail is different from singling out one test subject to fail.

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

They did a lane change.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

The sudden swerve to the left and then back to the right. A lane change.

Sure they are. Families run errands, pick up kids after school, go grocery shopping, etc.

And if SUVs could only be used off-road, that would be different.

NHTSA, state motor vehicle departments so licensing it, etc.

In an emergency, you don't want to have to try to avoid a roll-over.

That's what sparked the short course.

A lane change -- the vevicle is swerved to the left around an obstacle and then immediately back to the right into the original lane.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

They observed a vehicle handling problem that their current test did not detect as a problem so they worked with the vehicle until they developed a new test that picked it up.

Reply to
Art Begun

So, we're agreed on everything else up to this point, except for definitions. Right?

Where on earth do you live that that maneuver can be considered a "lane change?"

If anything, call it what it is: an emergency avoidance maneuver. Not something one encounters in everyday driving.

Exactly- So used, but not so advertised.

Irrelevant, since that's how many are portrayed in their advertising.

Just because it *can* be used on-road doesn't mean it was so designed.

It isn't that tough. Even with two wheels off the ground, that Suzuki in the video wasn't anywhere near tipping onto it's side. All the guy did to recover was to let go of the steering wheel. He would have had to hold the wheel hard over to keep 'er rolling.

Again, that's no lane change. It's an emergency maneuver.

See above. That's not a lane change.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

That may be the most laughable statement I've read on this newsgroup. INCLUDING Lloyd's drivel.

Since they couldn't even *produce* this "handling problem" when they tried repeatedly, just exactly how can you straight-facedly believe that they "observed a vehicle handling problem" in the first place?

Reply to
Steve

Because their staffer whined her ass off to them about how she rolled the thing on the way to the test track. The reality is - she hit uneven pavement(rut at the side of the road) and flipped it like a newbie.

Couldn't be her fault, could it? No - had to be the "unsafe" SUV.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If a policeman witnessed a lane change like that on a highway, whether in a Corvette, Samurai, whatever, the driver would be ticketed for reckless driving.

Bill Putney

Sorry I prefer to stick to the facts. Go pull out the issue where the defect was reported and read it.

newsgroup.

Reply to
Art Begun

Ever have a deer cross in front of you while driving 55 mph? How about a spinning hubcap drop off a car in front of you on the highway and spinning towards your windshield. You should have seen me change lanes then.

whether

Reply to
Art Begun

My worst was dodging a wayward axle - from the other side of the freeway. I saw thing thing 200 ft in the air coming down and it landed next to me, then bounced off the freeway.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

OK, a double-lane change. Happy?

Of course not. But people don't crash in everyday driving, yet a car that didn't protect its occupants in a crash would be dangerous too, wouldn't it?

That's what the ads show.

No, they're sold for and licensed for on-road use.

Then it shouldn't be allowed, like farm tractors and ATVs.

Because of the outriggers.

A double lane change.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

If a child ran out into your lane, is it your advice to hit the child rather than swerve around him?

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Nope; I drive faster so the deer cross behind.

An energy argument makes this incredibly unlikely.

You violently yanked the wheel one way, then the other? That's asking for a spin, at the least. Better to hit the hubcap.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto