PT Cruiser Switch Help

Can anyone tell me how to purchase a replacement bulb for both my rear wiper switch and my rear defroster switch on my 2002 PT Cruiser? I've removed the bulbs (easy to do as they simply unscrew with a quarter turn), but the Chrysler dealer tells me the bulbs aren't sold by anyone, including Chrysler. It's a pain not being able to see my switches at night. Any help on a part number or source is greatly appreciated. Mike Berger

Reply to
Mike B

Is there some kind of number of the base? The ashtray bulb on my Plymouth Voyager is a "special order" item at the dealer, while they have them in stock at my local NAPA store.

As the PT Cruiser has been out for five years, I would think that they would be available on the aftermarket by now.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

There is no listing for the bulb in the catalog, take the bulb out and see if there is a number on it. Maybe the dealer can match it up with what they have in there stock or try an after market supplier

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I suppose you have to replace the entire switch, eh? Good scam, that.

You can go to any electronics distributor and get 12 volt bulbs that have leads, rather than a base, and simply solder them into the switch. For that matter with Christmas coming up, 12 volt clear christmas tree lights (the small mini lights) will work, assuming they are not too big.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Same thing with the power window switches. Two lights have burned out on my PT's power window switches, bulbs internal and the whole unit has to be replaced. All car mfg'ers do it. I had a '93 Lumina and the HVAC switch lights gave out and the whole unit would have to be replaced. For US$157, I didn't do it.

It is a very good scam.

CopperTop

Reply to
philthy

If you have a bunch of dash and switch lights burning out then check your system voltage, perhaps your regulator is a bit high. Your vehicle electronics like your radio and car computers and such won't be affected because their power supplies are built to handle it, but light bulbs are vulnerable, and too high a system voltage will make them burn out quite quickly. If your bulbs are getting black inside then that's an indicator of too high a voltage.

The lightbulbs that are internal to switches are almost always soldered in bulbs, and I've changed them before after getting the switch out and carefully disassembling it.

Also keep in mind that the reason the automakers don't stock these bulbs is because the automakers themselves buy the entire switches from suppliers, the suppliers custom design the switches for size and shape and have Chinese manufacturers make them. Those manufacturers will buy whatever components like light bulbs from other Chinese manufacturers and who knows what nomenclature they use to specify them.

Any good electronics distributor will have a catalog with pages and pages of pictures of light bulbs in it with various voltages and shapes and sizes. Take your old bulbs with you and order some replacements if you can't get them from a local auto parts store.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Hi...

Sounds to me like the perfect place to use led's. Tiny ones that could easily be stuck in place with a drop of expoxy.

Virtually free, virtually no power consumption, virtually no heat, and last forever and ever.

Whatever you do though, don't forget that led's - unlike incandescent bulbs - do have polarity. And the ABSOLUTELY need a resistor in series with them.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I would use a hot glue gun for a switch, epoxy is hard enough that it doesen't have any give in it.

Excellent idea, you want the super bright LED's though. Pay careful attention to the max milliamps the LED is able to carry, if you exceed this the LED will get hot.

Here's a website that will tell you the correct resistor:

For a red or green LED running 10milliamps and 12 volts you would use a 1K ohm resistor. Most auto systems run higher than 12 volts so make a bit of allowance.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt