1993 Grand Voyager help please

I have a 1993 grand voyager 3.0 that has no spark and no fuel pump noise after i turn the key on. And my check engine light comes on then goes right out as I turn the key on? I replaced the fuel pump and asd relays. still nothing. i check for power going to the asd and fuel pump Relays and I have power. this all started within the last month when i would be driving at any time the van's speedometer would all of a sudden go to 0 mph then resume to what ever speed i would be driving all within a second.( rebuilt trans 6 months ago and new vss in trans ) before that in the past year i would try to start the van and no cranking of the motor. i would have to turn the ignition key on and off sevral times to get it to crank over (this has not happen in the last 2 months) and as today my steering lock no longer works?

Any idea's? Bad ignition switch? Bad PCM?

I do have the chilton book and IM leaning toward the switch?

Reply to
mrhog559

If your van would not start intermittently, then that is more than likely a problem with the starter. I have a 1994 GC with the 3.3 engine. Mine started doing this a couple of years ago. I noticed the same thing, turn the key on and off a few times, then it would work.

Basically what is happening is that there are a couple of copper contact pieces in the starter. Every time you engage the starter, they make contact. But over time they wear down. At some point, they don't always make contact every time you stry to start. Eventually, they are worn and pitted to the point they will not make contact at all, and then you are stranded.

When mine was still working, I drove to a local shop that actually rebuilds starters. IIRC it was about $40 to $50 for the re & re, and about $35 to strip down the starter and replace the worn parts. One part was put on a lathe and re-finished, and the other part was this tiny little copper piece worth about 25 cents. In and out in about 90 minutes.

And since you did not get that little problem looked at, and kept using the key trick, it sounds like you have thrashed your ignition key lock cylender. Find a local locksmith that specializes in Automotive locks. He will be able to replace it easily, and where the car sits. :)

IIRC, the issue with the speedometer is likely a speed sensor. Google around, I recall reading that in this group at some time in the past.

The check engine light coming on when you turn the key and then going out is just a "lamp test" to let you know that the bulb is not burnt out. If that bulb burns out, then you could drive without being advised of a potential problem.

If your ignition key / lock is hatched, then it is possible that things are not getting power. Get your starter fixed, get the new ignition switch. Then go have the speed sensor checked.

Let us know how it goes.

hth

Reply to
NewMan

thank you for the info on the starter and the vss -- i put a new vss when the trans was rebuilt 6 mons ago ? what do you think about the fuel pump not comming on and no spark ? could it be ignition related ? and when i turn the key on the check engine lite used to stay on for a few seconds then go out then if i did not start the van it would stay lit until i started the van. know it blinks so fast and goes out just as i turn the key ?

any more ideas thanks Andrew

Reply to
fatboy

Well from what you said, you cannot turn the ignition key on.

Unless the ignition key is turned on, and providing power, then it is natural to conclude that the fuel pump wont work.

It seems to me that you have to begin at the begining! Do as I suggested, get the starter fixed, and get the ignition switch replaced. Then you can be sure that power is being delivered to the sub-systems.

In my van, with the door open, when the key is turned, you can hear the fuel pump engage for a few seconds until the fuel line is fully pressurized. Once your ignition is fixed, you should hear this too. If you don't then there could be another electrical fault, or you fuel pump could be shot.

It sounds like your vehicle has multiple problems, and you will have to solve them one at a time to maintain your sanity. :)

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Did you ever resolve the transmission/speedometer problem ? My 93 3.3 does this occasionally. I thought it might be the pcm but I've had three in there and still have the problem. Someone said it might be the output speed sensor, so I'll probably try that next. Supposedly it's a very cheap part and easy to replace.

Let me know if you had any luck in troubleshooting your speedo problem.

thanks, nick

Reply to
ncs

Did you ever resolve the transmission/speedometer problem ? My 93 3.3 does this occasionally. I thought it might be the pcm but I've had three in there and still have the problem. Someone said it might be the output speed sensor, so I'll probably try that next. Supposedly it's a very cheap part and easy to replace.

Let me know if you had any luck in troubleshooting your speedo problem.

thanks, nick

Reply to
ncs

going to pick up ignition fri then i will get back to you

Reply to
fatboy