PT Cruiser - "Ticking" sound heard at over 30 mph

I'm a recent addition to the PT Cruiser club, having finally purchased one after wanting one for a good six years. (Long story.) I bought a

2006 model from Budget Car Sales just a few days ago, so it's still under warranty. Anyway, I hear a "ticking" sound when I reach speeds of above 30 mph. It's definitely related to speed and not acceleration; I've coasted in neutral at 40 mph and heard it, while revving the engine while stopped does not bring up the sound. It's faint, I can only hear it with the windows down.

Since it's under warranty, if there's anything particularly wrong with it I'd like to find out soon. The Budget warranty runs another 25 days or so, and then there's the 36,000 mile warranty with the dealer. Or, this could be a normal sound of a PT Cruiser. Any ideas from the group?

Reply to
John Foyt

I had similar with my 2003 model, it was the shim plates between the front disk brake pads and the caliper piston. One had become bent out of position and was catching against the disk causing the ticking sound. The difference was that I could hear it at low speeds and as I went faster it then couldn't be heard. I managed to trace it by jacking the front wheel up, spinning the wheel and locating where the ticking sound came from.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

I've had this problem with my 2001. I still have it. It's the sound of money draining from my bank account to pay for repair after repair.

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

If the noise is happening from the only while the vehicle is moving you may want to check the inside of the rims to see if the chrome is peeling off. When this happens the chrome will hit the brake calipers as the wheel turns and almost sound like a kids bike with a playing card hitting the spokes but not as loud.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Peeps, thanks for the responses. I took the car to the dealer for a recall repair on some perfectly good back glass. While there I asked them to check out the ticking noise. They were very friendly and helpful. The car's under warranty for another 3,000 miles or so, and I was willing to leave the car for a few days while they did the work. They replaced the front wheel hub bearings, water pump, and sway bar. I didn't ask for any of this, just asked them to investigate the noise. All covered under the warranty.

The funny thing is, the ticking noise is still there. I'm a whole lot less worried about it now. My guess is that it's the chrome as Glenn Beasley mentioned, or perhaps a loose caliper - but from what I've read, those are annoying but not dangerous. I suppose it could turn into something serious, but if it happens in the next few months I'll be covered. In the meantime, since I've read so much about shoddy dealers on the 'net, I just wanted to say that I got exceptional service from mine.

Reply to
John Foyt

Just look under the vehicle at the inside of the wheels, mostly the front ones and see if the chrome is peeling. If your vehicle is still under warranty you may get these replaced if it is the problem

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Now wait just a minute now. You say that Chrysler might replace chrome wheels for peeling chrome on the backside when they wouldn't replace powder coat bumper covers that got streaks all over them from the mastic on tape that they put on them prior to transporting to dealers? Look at any PT with these covers that don't have marks on them and I'll give you $10.00. For everyone that is marred, you give me $1.00. This way, you'll pay for my power steering leak repair!!

Reply to
Pete E. Kruzer

Now wait just a minute now. You say that Chrysler might replace chrome wheels for peeling chrome on the backside when they wouldn't replace powder coat bumper covers that got streaks all over them from the mastic on tape that they put on them prior to transporting to dealers? Look at any PT with these covers that don't have marks on them and I'll give you $10.00. For everyone that is marred, you give me $1.00. This way, you'll pay for my power steering leak repair!!

The vehicle comes with a 3/36. Are you the second owner of your PT? How many times do you have your vehicle serviced at the dealer?

Reply to
maxpower