Question on '92 Dynasty

I have a 1992 Dodge Dynasty, 3.3, A604, 134000 miles. Yesterday I did the on-off-on-off-on to check to see if their were any codes stored. I do this about once a month. Last month there were no codes, but now I get a code 12 and code 35. A code 12, I believe, means that the battery has been disconnected. I don't understand why I have a code 12, since the battery connections has not been touched for almost a year. So why a 12 all of a sudden? A code 35 relates to the fan relay. If the fan relay shorted for an instant before it opened, could this have caused the computer to think that a power loss from the battery had occurred (hence the 12)? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Bret

Reply to
Bret

The Bathtub Admiral

IF your battery gets LOW it also can trigger the 12. It can be just low enough that it won't cause visible problems ,but if you cranked a long time or left a light on or something to drain the battery. Yes, even the fan may have stayed on abit to drain it.

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr

Because contrary to popular belief, there are two definitions for code 12 depending on how it is extracted. Code 12 extracted via a scan tool means the battery has been disconnected. (like-wise, a scan tool never reports a code

55 directly.) Code 12 extracted via the method you used means "beginning of fault code report." (55 = end of fault code report.)

No. Battery voltage is monitored by a different circuit. Code 35 can indicate eother an open or a short, basically it's telling you that the SBEC did not 'see' the anticipated current value change across the driver that controls the fan relay.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Ok, that explains the 12. I still can't find the reason for the 35. Everything appears to be operating normally. Fans come on and go off in relation to engine temp just like always before. No bad or corroded connections were to be found. Ah well, I guess I'll just need to keep looking.. This weekend I'll get the codes cleared and see if they come back.

Reply to
Bret