95 GC CV boot

1995 Grand Cherokee Limited. Torn CV boots.

I actually bought the proper boot from NAPA when the first one tore but kinda chickened out when I got to thinking this was more involved than I wanted to get. Now both are torn. I know I should just get with it or take it in but...

...does anyone still make a split boot that I can put on without disassembly? Even if it has a short life it's better than nothing. Pep Boys showed a "Motormite" part on their computer but apparently it's been discontinued. I know this isn't the "right" way to do it but anything that keeps out the weather and keeps some grease in place is an improvement.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

The split boots may still be out there, but I used one on a Buick Riviera once and had nothing but problems with it sealing.

Chris

Steve Kraus did pass the time by typing:

Split boots are not recommended as they all tend to fail. The ZJ axles are easy to service. Just a few bolts and they slide right out.

in short.

- take off the wheel

- take off the caliper and hang it on a hook (not by the hose!)

- remove the disc

- remove the three bolts holding the hub bearing assembly to the steering knuckle

- slide the whole assembly out.

- disassemble, clean, reassemble, regrease, and put on the new boot.

(Don't use solvent on the CV joint!)

The best way to take the surface grease off is with a plastic putty knife. wiping with a paper towel just pushes dirty grease into the bearing.

If it's full of dirt odds are it needs to be replaced. To properly clean it the unit must be disassembled.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Steve G

Steve Kraus wrote in news:WzMFc.4205$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

While I don't have any experience with GC CV joints, it has been my experience that once you find that the boots are torn, it's too late to save them. Who knows how much dirt and water have got in there. It's best to bite the bullet and replace the joints.

Reply to
Pat Blank