Re: 93 caravan transmission question

I forgot to mention that this is a low-end model without all the fancy options, and it has 165,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Same thing happened in my 76 Aspen. It was the torque Converter that had failed. Have the trans rebuilt or replaced while the torque converter is being replaced.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Yep. Torque converter at a minimum. Since older transmissions tend to stretch chains, grind the teeth off of gears, and the like geting there, a rebuilt replacement(swap and go) is usually better and more cost-effective.

That's why I like manual transmissons. When they start to die, you have plenty of warning. Technically, you can run a stick with *no* clutch if you know the proper shift-points and matching RPMs. Try that with an automatic :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If this is a 4-speed trans, I'd suspect the transmission controller connector. Never had a torque converter damaged that was not caused by me (put into Reverse doing 45 mph forward!). And converter just made a ticking noise after that until the transmission shaft broke all the way. Converters are just two spinning fans bathed in trans fluid. First failure would likely be a bent fin on the fan.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Hodgson

If anyone has piad $3,000 to $4,000 for a ChryCo rebuild they were taken for a long, long ride. Here is the actual cost:

Trans unit - $2,000.00 Core retrun - $500.00 Labor - $525.000 LA County Sales Tax - $124.00 TOTAL - $2,199.00

Source: Invoice #DOCS250357, 08/02/01

Reply to
RPhillips47

I missed a couple of things, so allow me to correct my mistake:

Trans unit - $2,000.00 Core return - ($500.00) ATF - $50.00 (4 units @12.50/unit) Labor - $525.00 Tax - $124.00 TOTAL - $2,199.00

Sorry!

Reply to
RPhillips47

I am in Canada, so the difference in the dollar and the mark-ups is what accounts for this.

Most local trans shops want between $3000 to $4000 for all parts and labour to re&re the trans and rebuild it.

As a general rule I find that any price from the USA can but increased by 50% to 100%. This seems to work for all kinds of things. Your price of $2200 US$ increased 50% becomes $3300 CDN$ so IMHO is right in line with some fo our local shops.

:(

Reply to
Cloaked