Re: Bring Back the High Compression Hemi V-8

Anybody that considers DC to be making bad decisions of late should consider how things would be with this idiot at the helm.. Nomen, pls note that BMW, Mercedes and Porsche have been turning out high power cars for a while now.. the AMG Merc's, M5/M3/M635 BM's, 911 Carrera Turbo Porsche's..

-- History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

The muscle cars have been pretty much gone for 30 years. If Chrysler will > bring them back, they will have a total monopoly on the market. > > Dust off the old tooling and start cranking out those cars of yesteryear > that could do zero to 60 in 7.5 seconds and 110 mph in the quarter mile. > > Don't modify anything. Leave the 10:1 compression just like it was. > Install the Hurst shifter. Sell them with whitewalls. Don't mess with > sucess. > > As for contemporary fuels, there is no problem at all. High test gas is > available at any airport. You can buy all the 110 octane you want. > > As for emissions and crash safety, these cars won't pass. But that is no > problem at all. Sell them overseas! There is a huge foreign market out > there because thats where the money is. The money went because we buy > everything foreign. Now is the chance to sell them something. They won't > buy our regular cars because they make the same thing overseas. But they > don't make muscle cars and that's where we have them over a barrel. Our > Asian friends have been driving 4 cylinder Coronas for long enough and > they're chomping at the bit for some bad-ass power. What I say is true > because they are buying up our old, beat up muscle cars and paying up to > half a million for them! To sell them new ones for a hundred grand will be > like selling hot dogs and cold beer at a Dodger's game. > > Of course, we will drool when we hear that Asians are driving around in new > Hemi V-8s with two four barrels and four speed Hursts and roaring dual > exhausts. But that's life. We will have to be content with our V-6s that > sound like a Hoover vacuum cleaner on 90 volts. >
Reply to
Mike Hall

A few years ago there was a comparison of several muscle cars with several modern performance cars. I forget which magazine did the test, but I'm thinking maybe Popular Mechanics. Anyway, there was no contest. The modern cars smoked the muscle cars in every way possible: straight line performance, braking, handling, fuel economy, etc. Wasn't even close.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Reply to
Rick Blaine

The problem is however that Nomen is on to something, and this is what it is.

Today's "muscle cars" are purely bred at the factory as muscle cars - and carry a pretty high price tag. 30 years ago the difference between the expensive factory muscle cars and the grocery getter cars was a few inexpensive bolt-on hi-pro performance parts. Today you cannot buy a grocery getter and hop-it up because the computer is setup to make it stay a grocery-getter.

So today, the real muscle cars - corvettes, etc. - with the formula being a big fat V8 of 6-7 liters stuffed into a tiny 2 seater lightweight sedan chassis - are rich man's play toys, they are out of reach of the average person.

So sure, Noman's advice has the right idea. If an automaker started producing and pricing muscle cars the same price as regular sedans, then they would be swamped with business. What Noman is of course, ignorant of, is that it is impossible due to CAFE and also because high-power cheap grocery getters would destroy the automakers high-end market and they would lose money.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

True. An SRT-4, for example, is faster to 60 than that. Heck, I bet a Park Avenue Ultra would top 7.5.

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

Similarly, if a computer maker would put the equivalent of a Cray into a machine and sell it for the same price as a Dell Dimension....

Reply to
Lloyd Parker

CAFE is the small part of the problem, EPA is the major part. No way to ensure emissions compliance with home-brew cars. It is a shame to be sure, but a fact of life. Would be nice if they would have a lottery each year and give out so many "hot rodder" exemptions, but I don't see this every happening as the eco-fanatics would be all over it.

As for the muscle cars of today, I was thinking more along the lines of small, turbocharged, high reving engines. Don't sound nearly as good as the big iron of the 60s, but the power to weight is pretty good in some of the cars like the Subaru WRX (hope I got the right model here from memory).

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Just about ALL the tooling was junked to make the K car. Remember those. Anyway, that is why you can just about make a complete 1st gen camero from ordered parts from GM but you have to pay $2800 for a set of NOS fenders for a

71 Cuda.

Larry

Reply to
Hemi4268