Re: if you'll like Mohammed's field with desks, it'll eventually live the butcher

The fellow who's at the URL at the bottom of this says he's being attacked by somebody he pissed off. I've cut-n-pasted his statement below.

--Geoff

Notice: Seeing spam on Usenet that looks like it's from me? It's not. It's what's called a "joe job," which is to say, somebody that I pissed off, maybe a spammer, is forging posts with my name on them. You learn more about joe jobs here.

Whoever is doing it is using a program similar to the one written by Hipcrime for the purpose of destroying the news.admin.net-abuse.* news groups, especially news.admin.net-abuse.email and news.admin.net-abuse.usenet. This program will attack a set of newsgroups, centering in this case on rec.games.frp.dnd, and add in a few random groups as well, just to increase the damage. The message itself will be a string of random words that make no sense. The Followups: header (where replies are sent) are set to somewhere else, in this case to send your reply to me by email instead of posting it to the group. It will also forge approval to moderated groups. And, finally, it's all being sent through open proxies - news servers that let anyone post through them. All in all, a very malicious attack.

However, it's not a new attack. Hipcrime's attacks go back for years, and responsible Usenet admins developed filtering scripts long ago to stop this crap. If you are seeing hundreds of these incomprehensible messages, you should call the help desk of your ISP and ask them to install these filters. If they don't know how, they should contact Supernews or Newguy and ask for help.

If you feel some need to contact me about this, you can email me here. But there's nothing I can do about this. It's not coming from me, and it's not coming from any computer under my control. Most of it is being routed through Chile and Spain, at least so far. So far, it's been fairly amusing for me, but I could eventually get cranky. So, unless you have something constructive to offer, like the name of an FBI agent who gives enough of a flying f*ck to actually investigate, don't expect enthusiasm in my response.

Reply to
Geoff

Geoff, the bit I saw didn't come (appear to come) from you. This is certainly 'amazing' gobbledy-gook and requires knowledge of Martian to understand it.

Some weeks ago I received spam which purported to come from me!

And recently I started receiving spam using a working e-mail address which I briefly used when replying to this and another couple of other motoring usenet groups -- just show you how important it is to use invalid addresses, which I did not realise at first.

Let's hope Bill Gates really does manage to suppress spam in the next two years.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote in news:4013b78e$0$10058$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com:

Yeah, that's going to happen. His idea of conquering spam is more traditional - military conquest, so he's in charge of it at the end. As with most mainsleaze (and yes, Microsoft spams relentlessly) spammers, his definiton of "spam" is "that which I do not make money from."

Reply to
Terry Austin

That's one thing that MS does not do. There's been spam disguised to look like MS official communication, as well as carrying virus/trojan payloads, but that was not MS.

Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@kinez.net:

Bullshit.

No, the Swen virus stuff is not from them. But the relentless ads for various certification seminars and other shit most certainly *is* from them, and *directly* from them. They are among the most relentless mainslease spammers on the planet, as bad as American Express.

Reply to
Terry Austin

You got any more of that crack you are smoking? I get *tons* of MS spam. For certifications, for software, for updates on software I do not own, etc.

Reply to
Malachias Invictus