Re: one more noisy urban pools strongly move as the full drapers hate

The fellow who's at the URL at the bottom of this says he's being attacked by somebody he pissed off. I've cut-n-pasted his statement below.

--Geoff

Notice: Seeing spam on Usenet that looks like it's from me? It's not. It's what's called a "joe job," which is to say, somebody that I pissed off, maybe a spammer, is forging posts with my name on them. You learn more about joe jobs here.

Whoever is doing it is using a program similar to the one written by Hipcrime for the purpose of destroying the news.admin.net-abuse.* news groups, especially news.admin.net-abuse.email and news.admin.net-abuse.usenet. This program will attack a set of newsgroups, centering in this case on rec.games.frp.dnd, and add in a few random groups as well, just to increase the damage. The message itself will be a string of random words that make no sense. The Followups: header (where replies are sent) are set to somewhere else, in this case to send your reply to me by email instead of posting it to the group. It will also forge approval to moderated groups. And, finally, it's all being sent through open proxies - news servers that let anyone post through them. All in all, a very malicious attack.

However, it's not a new attack. Hipcrime's attacks go back for years, and responsible Usenet admins developed filtering scripts long ago to stop this crap. If you are seeing hundreds of these incomprehensible messages, you should call the help desk of your ISP and ask them to install these filters. If they don't know how, they should contact Supernews or Newguy and ask for help.

If you feel some need to contact me about this, you can email me here. But there's nothing I can do about this. It's not coming from me, and it's not coming from any computer under my control. Most of it is being routed through Chile and Spain, at least so far. So far, it's been fairly amusing for me, but I could eventually get cranky. So, unless you have something constructive to offer, like the name of an FBI agent who gives enough of a flying f*ck to actually investigate, don't expect enthusiasm in my response.

Reply to
Geoff

Was there any particular reason you posted that twice?

Reply to
No 33 Secretary