Re: Skid Plate Protection Needed on Passenger Cars

Low slung cars are excellent on smooth roads, but are susceptable to damage

>to their under carriages under certain conditions occassionally >encountered. > >Particularly, when there is a small radius dip, driveway, holes in the >road, on unimproved roads and in the dark when road obstacles cannot be >seen. If the clearance is not enough, the oil pan, frame members, steering >linkages, or rear axle can be damaged. This damage is expensive and or >creates safety problems from the damage inflicted. > >Chrysler must address this problem by shielding the underside of the car in >all critical areas. Usually, it requires a curved steel plate that will >ride up and over these common road obstructions. The plate does not need >to be so heavy as to prevent damage to itself; it can sacrifice itself in a >hard impact to protect vital components under the car. > >Bash plates or skid plates are easily designed, fabricated and fitted. You >should see these items on next year's models. If they are not adopted in >this timely manner, I see liability exposure to the car maker to road >clearance damages which occur in the future, given prior knowledge of the >problem and its cure.

Off road vehicles already have them - and generally on standard passenger cars they would be needless extra weight and would contribute to engine overheating if the rest of the design was not changed to take the sheilds into account. All cars sold in North America MUST have a minimum ground clearance. If that is not adequate, the LAW should be changed making more clearance mandatory. Right !!!. That will never happen. Ever hear of driving to suit conditions???

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce