rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 2/6

Can someone enlighten me the point of these posts (autos/chrysler-faq/general/part2) from Dr David Zatz?

Does anyone use the info?

Even when this forum was more lively nobody seemed to respond or comment.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

The server that posts those FAQ's has a life of it's own, and is itself half-broken from what I can tell. It's being served by a machine at mit.edu (specifically - penguin-lust.mit.edu).

Zatz himself is not posting them (but at some point in the distant past he must have arranged to have that server post them).

Posting these FAQ's is a relic of an ancient time on usenet, when new readers to a newsgroup were supposed to read recent postings (and the charter or FAQ) before they post their first question. By posting these FAQ's or charters on a regular basis, it would insure that new readers wouldn't have much of a problem encountering them or having to look back through many old posts to find it.

Zatz created these "FAQ's" and arranged to have them posted here automatically by the MIT server as a way to drive traffic to his website (allpar.com).

Reply to
MoPar Man

have yet to see parts 3 thru 6 of the FAQs in all the years I have been coming in here. and that's been 7 or 8 years.

Reply to
Rob

That's the first time I've seen the claim that his purpose in putting together the FAQ posts was anything but an effort to answer FAQs.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

He's never participated in this newsgroup as far as I can tell.

Don't you find it curious that someone would craft a 6-part FAQ, arrange to have an MIT FAQ-server post them periodically, and yet he never has had one iota of interest to take part in any conversations here?

I've posted my own "Dr. David Zatz FAQ" occasionally when his Chrysler FAQ's have been posted here, and I simultaneously e-mail them to about half-dozen allpar.com e-mail addresses. I did the same with the post I wrote (above). He never answers or acknowleges those e-mails by coming here to post a response.

Reply to
MoPar Man

He was active a long, long time ago: I can find some posts in 1997, for instance. I'll agree that it would be nice for him to turn off his FAQ auto-post (especially since it hasn't been updated in years), or at least respond to people who want to know what's up. The difference is that you're ascribing a particular motive to him, and I'm not.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Thanks, gents. I was wondering.

DAS