Roller Lifter Failure Help

Has anybody experienced lifter failure with MOPAR roller lifters in the 3.3 Liter V-6? I am trying to locate the source of a clatter that makes my
engine sound like a diesel and I have not pulled the heads yet but have found no indications of rocker-arm trouble. Is there a repair history regarding the camshaft/valvetrain on a 1998 3.3 liter? I only have 78000miles and planned to drive it for another 3 years! Any help is appreciated.
Jake.
I heard that some 3.3 have a problem with broken rocker studs, but that would make it run horrible, also do all 3.3's run roller lifters, on mine my lifters clatter on cold start ups if I run cheap fram oil filters that drain out after sitting overnight! With ac or motorcraft oil filters I don't have that problem

The "allpar" site talks about broken rocker arm pedestals but suggests that the problem was corrected "early-on". I am not sure which years were affected but my '98 is good. The clattering only begins when my engine is warm? Interesting observation with the oil filters, I will pay attention to that. Thanks, Jake.

There's an excellent website by Russ Knize where he has studied most of the main oil filters and found many of the big brand names are just plain junk. http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html
Best was the Mobile 1 filter & Purolator (abet both expensive.) Motorcraft was second best (best bang for the buck).
Fram was junk (as you have found - but the problems go far worst than that.) The media end caps are cardboard, glued in place and can leak allowing dirty oil to drain back into crankcase. <Q> "If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow." <Q/> Fram is manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc.
Worst was MoPar. <Q> "These filters are Frams, Purolators, or Wixes. Mopar does not manufacture it's own filters, nor do they require anything special from these manufacturers. Since they basically paint them a different color, stamp them with a Mopar logo, and double the price, there is no reason to buy them. Sadly, the Mopar Severe Duty 53020311 filter is actually the worst filter of them all. It is a Fram Extra Guard." <Q/>
In his "Filters to Avoid": Fram, Penzoil, Quaker State.
Here's what he said about Motorcraft "This was a Purolator hybrid. It had the Premium Plus case (anti-drainback valve, gasket, etc), but with a Pure One filter element. This is a cheap way to get a Purolator Pure One. It is sold at many locations including AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. "
There used to be more info then is currently on the site, but apparently he had to take it off because of a legal threat. It dealt with things like gaps between the filter media and the shell which allowed dirty oil to bypass the media all together, and with actual failures of the can itself (allowing loss of oil.)
Here is the link to his website if you car to read all of his test findings and comments. While not a definitive study, it is quite an eye-opener for anyone who has never thought about one of the most critical elements in his/her car. A filter that doesn't filter properly, or clogs forcing the oil to bypass, or cracks and leaks, or allows dirty oil to drain back into the crankcase or several other negative factors; can place an expensive engine in real jeopardy.
Normally I use Motorcraft, but the local AutoZone is running a Mobile 1 sale & I picked up a Mobile 1 filter today (along with 6 qts of Mobile 1).

But I reckon that if I want to keep the benefits of my 7-yr/70K Chrysler warranty (which was an additional freebie when we bought our 300M back in early '02) it's best to have it serviced at a Chrysler dealership -- which can be expected to use Mopar filters, even if they are junk.
Perce
On 08/10/05 07:13 pm Dennis tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

No, you figure wrong. The 7/70 warranty does not depend on getting it serviced at the dealer.
On 08/15/05 10:29 am Steve tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I didn't mean that the warranty *depends on* having it serviced at a Chrysler dealership. I meant that it might be easier to *prove* that it has been serviced properly if the service records are all in a dealer's computer system.
If I have the vehicle serviced sometimes at "Joe's Auto Service and Adult Bookstore" and sometimes at JiffyLube, wouldn't it be much easier for DC to argue that the work was done by incompetents and refuse to pay up?
Perce

Which is true. When I was with DC, the service Rep I worked with loved deny paying warranty to people who did not service there vehicles properly. If you were a "good"customer at the dealership, which a "good" customer is one who actually brought to the dealership a few times for the life of the warranty. If you did not, and you had no receipts of having it serviced properly (ie 4 oil changes a year, he would not cover anything for the customer. And I had to agree with him. The most belligerent customers complaining, were people how bought the vehicle new, and never brought it to the dealership once until after the warranty was over, and wanted DC to pay. And they thought being mouthy, and condacending was going to make the reps give them goodwill? Guess what, if you don't have service records properly documenting what service was performed DC does not have to do Jack for you if something happens. Going to the dealer for your servicing automatically creates the service records for you.
I had to purchase an extended warrantee (as my Sebring was a rental) and my dealer told me that all I had to do was keep records of all my off-dealer service. When I asked what kind of records, he indicated receipts that showed the date and work done (such as oil change, etc.) You believe you are right about the dealer's records, as all work is recorded against the VIN and is available on a nationwide basis. He was even able to pull up the service records from Avis (who owned the car prior) because Chrysler owns Avis.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Maybe so, but....

As can bee seen in countless other posts (see the "3 quarts low" thread), getting work done at a dealer does NOTHING to prevent the work from actually BEING DONE by incompetents. That's why I change my own oil.
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

And you "reckon" this...how, exactly? It's not so.
Dennis wrote:

Purolator - which one? They have two. The Pure One is the one to get. Why do you say it's expensive - $4 to $5 is not expensive for a good oil filter. $8 or $10 maybe you could say is expensive.

I'm not a fan of Fram or Allied Signal, but you make the same dishonest mistake many people repeat: Your comments apply to the bottom end filter of the Fram line - once again, you treat them all as if they are one - they are not. The Tough Guard is actually a good filter - not perfect, but good.

The word "good" is relative. Perhaps this letter from a Fram Engineer would change your mind. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt (BTW, the Tough Guard still has paper end caps.) You also might be interested in this site as well: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Dennis wrote:

I would have said that there's no way of knowing who actually wrote that letter. But you know what - after working in modern industry (incuding automotive manufacturing)for over 25 years, it rings too true to life*. IOW, I don't doubt that it is genuine. Such is industry run by MBA's.
*"FRAM's marketers admitted that there was just about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filter contributed, or did not prevent, engine damage. The only thing FRAM tested for was can burst strength."
Bill Putney wrote:

Which is really sad, as I've heard of Frams having burst failures on engines developing high oil pressures - notably the VW G60, also I have heard of an issue with a Diesel (Cummins? I forget)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel