sebring V6 engine

if the sebring V6 is the same as the 2.7L in the intrepid, why are there so many stories about intrepids with broken engines but very few aboutthe sebring V6?

are there less incidents with the sebring, and why, if the engines are identical?

also, if buying a second-hand chrysler (intrepid or sebring) with the 2.7L V6, is there anything I can do to make sure the engine won't break due to the oil problems? if the car was using regular oil before and I switch to synthetic, will it help?

Reply to
j j

Both questions have been the subject of several discussions on this ng. Do a google search.

You will find differing opinions on switching over to synthetic (especially on a high mileage engine), and on what you can do to prevent the severe sludging/self-destruction problem that the 2.7L engines are reported to have. IMO, the answer to both questions involves the use of a gentle - not sudden - cleanout with a product such as Marvel Mystery Oil or Sea Foam (FWIW - I presently own a '99 Concorde with a 2.7L that has 108k miles on it and it is doing very well using a little MMO in the crankcase with every oil change, and I also had a bad experience switching over to synthetic on a high mileage car in the early 90's and reversed the problem by switching back to conventional oil and also using MMO on that too, so I have successful hands-on experience with both issues).

Bill Putney