2.7L Engine Failures (Chyrsler sebring)

I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring with 70K the 2.7L engine rod started making noise so I took it to my mechanic, he pulled the pan and what did he find will probably the same thing every other 2.7L owner found, lots of slug and a loose rod, he cleaned both the crank journal and the rod facing and installed a new bearing and told me to sell it. I have a problem with transferring my problems to another owner so I have decided to fix the problem. Here is my question.

I found a thread that there has been some success in converting a Dodge 2.7L to a 3.2L. Can anyone tell me if this could be done in a Chrysler Sebring?

Reply to
bsuttonmci

The 3.2/3.5 was never offered in the Sebring, and I don't know for sure that it would physically fit. Its VERY similar to the 2.7, but there are enough differences that it might be a big hassle (aside from retrofitting Intrepid/Concorde electronics to a Sebring.

If it were my car, I'd overhaul the 2.7, put it on a diet of Mobil 1 or another high-quality synthetic oil, use good oil filters, change the oil on the "sooner" rather than "later" side, and keep the car another 10 years. There's nothing inherently wrong with the 2.7, but like several Toyota engines is has shown itself to be prone to forming sludge under certain combinations of driving conditions and oil type. Synthetic oils and more frequent drain intervals should prevent this from recurring.

bsutt> I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring with 70K the 2.7L engine rod started

Reply to
Steve

In addition to running a HQ synth, adding 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil at oil change and 500 miles or so before changing oil also helps.

70K miles on my 2.7L '00 'Trepid and no indication of sludge buildup or noise from the timing chain. 32+ MPG on the highway. Steady diet of 5W30 Mobil1 and a Purolator Pure> The 3.2/3.5 was never offered in the Sebring, and I don't know for sure
Reply to
Mike Behnke

210,000 kms on my 2000 2.7l, running strong, no apparent signs of sludge. Always changed the oil at 5000 kms w/ filter, switched to synthetic last summer. Hope (plan) to get another 200,000 kms out of it.
Reply to
pawn, loathesome, credible

130+k on a '99 2.7 - Castrol non-synth and MMO.

Bill Putney