"service engine" '94 intrepid

My '94 intrepid service engine light is back on after many years. When I went through the codes I found "recently disconnected battery" which is not true, but I'm not worried about, and 33, which I believe is O2 sensor. I found that both the right and left were replaced around 97 / 98. Do they go bad frequently? What's the negative effect of not replacing them.? Thanks, mm

Reply to
Mike Muderick

unknown

Possibly your batt. is getting weak (or a high resistance connection) - computer may have seen batt. voltage dip below the threshold momentarily (during a startup for example).

I think continuing to drive with a bad O2 sensor often leads to having to replace the catalytic converter.

Bill Putney

When you check the codes by flicking the key three times, "12" means "Start of Codes", not necessarily "battery disconnected recently".

33 refers to an open or shorted condition in the A/C clutch control circuit, not the O2 sensor. O2S-related codes include 21, 51 and 52.

The negative effects of driving with bad or "still good but sluggish and lazy" O2 sensor(s) include reduced fuel economy, poorer driveability and performance, and increased exhaust emissions.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern