Shifting a604 from Third to First

I'm going to take a trip which will require pulling a trailer behind my 92 Voyager w/ 3.3. I may have to travel down and up some steep hills and my question is: If I'm in 3rd and travelling between 30 and

35 MPH, can I manually move the shift selector from 3rd down to 1st without damaging these sensitive 4 speed trannies??

Thanks for any and all help!

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

I did it all of the time on my 96 GV. My transmission wasn't sensitive at all and worked fine right up until my van was totaled last week with

178,500 miles on it. I've heard the early trannies were a little less robust so I can't say that my experience with a 96 translate directly to your 92, but I'd read the owner's manual and if it says to downshift when descending a steep hill, then I'd do it and not lose any sleep over it. You do have your transmission fluid and filter changed every 30-50,000 miles, right???

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

There is no "1st" position on the quadrant of a vehicle with A604 or derivative and without Autostick. The position to the right of "3" is "L", and it simply locks out 4th and delays the upshift speeds between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. If you shift to "L" while in motion, the transmission will downshift into the lowest gear it is programmed to consider safe at whatever speed you're travelling. That may be 1, 2 or 3.

GET A TRANSMISSION COOLER and change to ATF+4.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You betcha. I do it religiously. Thanks, Matt. Sorry about your van.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

Got a stock tranny cooler and using ATF-3

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

Not good enough for HD towing service.

Change to +4

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

This is the cooler that came from Chrysler. You say it's not good enough? What would you recommend?

Also, every reference I've seen (including this group) says to use ATF-3. It's a 92 Voyager.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

Yes, I understood that. You are proposing to tow heavy loads with a weak transmission design. If you wish your transmission to stay in one piece, you will need to keep the fluid as cool as possible, and the factory cooler won't get the job done. There are several reputable makers of aftermarket transmission fluid coolers. Hayden comes to mind, but they're not the only one out there.

ATF+4 is much improved in every aspect including those that lubricate and protect the transmission.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

There's tons of aftermarket and even factory Mopar auxilliary transmission coolers in wrecking yards. In fact if you really wanted to go whole hog you might be able to use an old air conditioning condensor. Just make sure that any used cooler you get is flushed out with mineral spirits followed by compressed air. Also make sure it's plumbed in downstream from the factory cooler.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt