Slow warmup - 2000 Dodge Caravan

Looking for some advice...

We have a 2000 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 litre engine. The van runs well but we have one small problem...

When the weather is cold, a few degrees above freezing or less, the engine can take a long time to warm up when being driven. I've been able to drive highway speeds for 15+ minutes and the temp gauge still does not come up to normal.

If I start the van and let it idle, it comes up to normal temperature much quicker.

Am I correct that this is just a faulty thermostat, or should I also be looking elsewhere?

Thanks!

Reply to
Me

Sure sounds like t-stat stuck open.

Reply to
Bill Putney

And make sure you top up the cooland in the RADIATOR, too, else it may never get hot liquid into the heater core.

Thermostats fail. often. I got maybe 2-3 years out of any in my Caravan(s). /mark

Reply to
Mark F

And before you put the new one in, test it in a pan of water on the stove with an accurate thermometer - I have read of getting bad thermostats right out of the box - happens more often than you'd think. Ounce of prevention...

Reply to
Bill Putney

And furthermore, make sure you don't cross-thread the bolts when you put them back in. The one time I took it to a shop instead of doing it myself..... Well, you can guess what happened.... sigh... /mark

Reply to
Mark F

Thanks for all the advice folks!

One more question... would it be worth while to do a coolant system flush too?

Reply to
Me