Sludge

Yes - probably so. Should be very easy to tell by looking.

Bill Putney

Does anyone know anyone whose driving conditions would qualify as "Schedule A". I've been driving for 40 years and have never had a vehicle where I would say I qualified for "Schedule A".

"Schedule B" or "Severe Service" as stated in most owners manuals is a description of normal driving conditions.

Reply to
High Sierra

There seems to be a consensus that engines used to be able to tolerate a certain amount of neglect (extended oil changes). However newer engines are manufacture to tighter tolerances and are expected to produce more horsepower per cubic displacement. They are also more complicated. Therefore they won't stand up to as much abuse/neglect.

That is no reason to blame the manufacturer.

Reply to
High Sierra

Well then, I'm glad my Sebrings a 2004.

BTW would you consider a check of the PCV system part of a grease, oil, filter job?

Reply to
High Sierra

Sure. But whether it is considered as part of the other maintenance items, the important thing is that it does get checked and maintained on some regular basis.

BTW - there's not really anything to do in the "grease" category, unless you have a separate differential sump like on the LH cars and check/periodically change the gear oil (if you want to call that "grease". 8^) Only time you would have zerks is if you have certain aftermarket suspension parts.

Bill Putney

Thanks for the info.

As far as grease fittings, on my Sebring, I was just using 'grease, oil & filter" as an expression.

Now, my RAM 1500, that's a different story. :-)

Reply to
High Sierra

On the one hand, I'm glad they did something to fix the problem.

On the other hand, that fix sounds like treating a broken leg by surgically attaching a third leg... :-/

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I disagree. New engines are built to essentially the same tolerances (clearance-wise) as engines built from 1960 onward. Its easy to say "new engines have tighter tolerances" but go look it up- they don't (with the sole exception of cylinder-to-wall clearance on engines that use hypereutectic pistons). On top of that, new engines DO have fuel management systems that are tremendously better than carburetors. Fuel dilution, carbon-fouling, and poor mixture distribution induced hot-spots are all things of the past. Plus they are treated to oils that are orders of magnitude better than what was available even as recently as 1980. Problems are showing up only in engines where design COMPROMISES have been made, usually to reduce emissions. Both the Toyota and Chrysler "sludge engines" are ones with PCV systems that just aren't up to the job.

Reply to
Steve

I said it was one of *several* things they did. I didn't say it was the

*only* thing. Personally, I can definitely see how a clogged PCV system could contribute to accumulation of sludge.

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

How can you say that after your previous post saying that fixing a chronically clogging PCV system as equivalent to adding a third leg to fix a broken leg? What are you thinking? (And as I pointed out, there were other changes made.)

Bill Putney

Maybe fwdmopar guy has a amsoil additive to fix the sludging problems!

Reply to
David

I know that part of the problem is with the PCV system. My uneasiness with that part of the fix is just that it seems like added complexity- trying to prevent condensation of vapors is well and good, but too MUCH heat in the PCV system is just going to carbonize the vapors too. It seems like trying to ride the razor's edge, but maybe simply regulating the PCV temp to coolant temp (which is, after all, locked at 195 or thereabouts) is good enough.

Reply to
Steve