Speedo & Input Sensor

Not sure of the source of this problem, so hoping someone here can help.

I have a 92 Voyager with 3.3 and 4 spd. tranny.

The speedo does not go all the way to 0 (zero) during stop and go driving and on long trips, the needle gets stuck at various places on the speedo. Tapping the speedo cluster will most times make the needle jump to the proper speed indication. Van continues to shift properly, however. Wondering if the speedo is going flakey, or I need to change out the input sensor. Output was recently changed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

maxpower

If the trans is shifting normally, this also supports that both speed sensors are fine as well. Check the speedometer itself. Sounds like a cold solder joint or other bad connection.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Your problem is most likely nothing more than interference between the speedo needle and the speedometer face, or between the speedometer needle shaft and the needle shaft hole in the speedometer face.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That's what I thought! Thanks for the confirmation.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

I'm now sure it's the speedo unit itself. Question: Will the speedo unit from a cluster with only a gas and heat gauge work? I was told both speedo units are identical.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Mr. Caravan

Reply to
Joe

Before you buy parts you may not need, try carefully prying the speedo needle very slightly away from the speedo face, down at its pivot point. Then manually move the needle clear across to the highest speed number on the speedometer, release it, and see if it swings freely back to 0. If it does, you've probably fixed the problem.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
Robert C.