!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steering wheel shaking with new tires, HELP !!!!!!

I just installed 2 new tires on the front of my New Yorker, since I had a gash on one of the old ones and couldnt get it fixed. After taking it to the shop and had the tires mounted and balanced, now it sakes in between 40 and

50 MPH. other than that, it is fine. I don't think it can be balancing, coz it'll shake at what ever speed, am I right? Should I take my car back to them, or can it just be the new Yokahama tires starting to break-in ? Thanks.
Reply to
jp

If it's not a out-of-round tire or balance problem, a bent (usually steel) wheel can cause that. Best way to check is have the tire shop unmount the tires and carefully watch the wheel rim edges for any detectable side-to-side and up-down motion while it spins on the balancing machine.

Also make sure no suspension components are worn/loose.

Good luck.

Bill Putney

Reply to
Tipsy

Then it sounds like it must be bad tires, bad balance, are imporper istallation.

Try rotating the tires around and see if the nature of the shake changes - certainly if the new tires are the problem and you move them to the rear, the steering wheel shake will go away and tell you if the new tires are the problem. If the steering wheel still shakes with the new ones on the rear, then the problem is not the tires.

Bill Putney

If you had a blowout [e.g. torn tire, not just a "flat"] you could have easily damaged [bent] the rims, especially a fiberglass one!

Also, a small garage might have done a static "balancing", not a dynamic balancing and the new tires "might" have a side to side balance issue, not just an axial balance issue.

A blowout could also have affected your front end alignment. Take it to a front end shop.

And as a previous poster said, check the rims - if bad they'd have to be replaced, AFAIK. - RM

Reply to
RickMerrill

I've had tire shops completely screw up a balance job before. Sometimes it may be the balancing machine out of calibration, sometimes operator error. And sometimes, a wheel weight comes off because it wasn't installed correctly. I'd take it back and have them check the balance, and if its not that I'd guess a defective tire. Tires don't need to "break in" but sometimes they have internal flaws that make them wobble the steering wheel.

Reply to
Steve