Stratus blower speed problem

All of a sudden, the A/C-Heater fan in my 2002 Stratus has lost it's three slowest speeds. Everything works on high speed, but selecting the other three speeds shuts down the fan.

I seem to remember reading that a "resistor block" malfunction could cause this. What do I need to look for to diagnose the problem, and are there any "user-serviceable" parts that I can replace without having to take it in to a shop. Thanks.

Reply to
justlarry

Yes - resistor assembly. However, if you replace it and it blows again, it probably means the blower motor is aging and starting to draw too much current, in which case you would need to replace the blower motor and the resistor assembly.

Bill Putney

If you purchase the part from Chrysler, you may have to modify the HVAC box. The part has been modified.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, How extensive is this mod? Thanks

Lou G

Reply to
Lou G

If it is the updated one all you need to do is enlarge the hole about another 1/4 inch. It is plastic and a Dremel tool or file will work

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks alot Glenn, I have'nt had to replace one yet in my 99 or 01 but it's a nice heads up.

Lou G

Reply to
Lou G

Just replaced one in my van. When you replace the resistor, it will smell for about 30 seconds as it burns off the oils/coatings from mfg process

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

OK, thanks to all who answered. I'll commence repairs this week.

All the best.

Reply to
justlarry