Sudden Acceleration in 2000 T&C

Hi All, The other day I was the passenger in my 2000 T&C as a friend was driving me to an appointment. While at a gas station, my friend put the van in reverse and claims to have touched the gas pedal lightly but when he did the van lunged backwards as if he had stomped the pedal to the floor. He almost immediately hit the brakes and thank goodness we'd only traveled a few feet and nobody was behind us.

My friend says he barely touched the gas but he's an older gentleman and I think he didn't realize the amount of pressure he'd applied. The pedal on my van is on the tight side and does require a bit more pressure than usual to get it moving but then gets a little looser in travel. Are all T&Cs like this? Is there some history w/these models having a prob w/sudden acceleration? I plan on having the van checked to be on the safe side, I'm assuming the mechanics can make some adjustment to the accelerator so that it's not quite as stiff? Thanks!

Dan G.

Reply to
Daniel G.

No history of problems, and no adjustments can be made. Tell the your friend to be more careful.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Keep in mind that in reverse, any pressure you put on the gas pedal results in positive feedback - i.e., the vehicle moves back and your body's inertia wants it to stay put, so the foot will add more pressure than intended. This is not true in forward gear - so he may not have anticipated the positive feedback if he pushed slightly harder than he intended.

Bill Putney