Changing 98 Stratus oil filter stud?

My son screwed up the threads on our Stratus oil filter stud. I got the filter on and took it to the dealer the next time I needed the oil changed and they said it would have to be replaced at the next oil change. They want $220+ to replace it. Is the stud just threaded in so I could change it myself? I want to make sure I can do it before I drain the oil and remove the filter. Thanks in advance

Reply to
hendritr

You don't say whether you have the 2.7L or 2.4L engine, but assuming you have the 2.7L, the part is under $10 (possibly the same part on the 2.4L

- not sure). $220 sounds way high to me. It is a nipple that has to be screwed out and back in. Might take a special tool that could be improvised without too much trouble.

Bill Putney

Reply to
roger taxted

Reply to
philthy

I figured it was something as simple as that, but not having done it, wasn't sure.

Then yeah - $220 for the job is a huge ripoff.

Bill Putney

I think you are correct - I did a little on-line research on the years and engines, and misread what I found. FWIW, re-visiting my research, it looks like a 2.0L was also an option for '98 Startus. (The 2.7 was available at least in '98 - in LH cars - but apparently not in the Stratus, as you said.)

Bill Putney

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I should have said it was the

2.5l. I think knowing it is threaded I will do it myself. Thanks again.
Reply to
hendritr