T&C headlite fogging ?

Have an '03 T&C and to varying degrees depending on the weather, the inside of the headlight/turnsignal module collects water on the inside. Sometimes completely covered, other times just a small amount. Dealer says this is 'normal'. Not that I don't trust the dealer of course.....BUT.....any others with this situation and is it really common ? Thanks ! Zork

Reply to
Zork

Define "collects water". If it is a finely-atomized mist of water that goes away within a minute or so of turning on the headlamp, then yes, it's fairly normal. If it is enough water that actual visible drops form or there's any standing water in the bottom of the lamp, then no, it's not normal. As usual, Chrysler cheaped-out on the North American market headlamps for these vans. Sometimes you can improve the headlamp's breathing enough to alleviate the situation by removing the bulb, removing its rubber O-ring and reinstalling the bulb without the O-ring. This can compensate for inadequate original venting provisions. However, if the bulb does not fit securely in its holder without the O-ring (bulb can be wiggled around -- test this after installing the bulb retainer ring) then you can't use this fix on your lamp.

The rest-of-world Chrysler minivans get much, much nicer ZKW-made headlamps with twin H7 bulbs.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hey Dan, is there any way that a resident of North America can obtain this kind of replacement headlight assembly for retro-fitting purposes??

God Bless, Dan'L

Fun to Read:

Dan Larsen

Well, here's a new Driver's side one on Ebay in Germany...you'd have to work out with the seller if he'll ship to you.

Daniel J. Stern

Sure Dan; tease us like that!

Why don't you find a nice source for us to supply reasonably priced European headlights and tail lights? OK, I know, you've tried. There must be some way to crack this nut.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

'cause they cost more than $39.50/ea.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Wouldn't better headlights be worth more than $39.50?

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Yes, of course. I was reacting sardonically to the unmeetable requirement that they be "reasonably priced". There's a reason the rest-of-world headlamps and taillamps cost more to buy: They cost more to make.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Fair comment Dan. But I was not demanding that they cost only $39.50, but that we could tap into a wholesale source that would deduct the VAT and charge reasonable shipping. Sounds like something you should be able to tap into. I assume you have assumed the market is too limited to make this a viable business for you.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard